Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 17, 2024, 02:37:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26
26 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: air shock and rear wheel spray  (Read 2155 times)

StoereVent

• Journeyman
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct
air shock and rear wheel spray
« on: September 12, 2004, 08:22:23 am »
Hello,

because I have to replace my dead NR4, I was asking my LBS what would be best in his opinion. And he said that because of the fact that the rear shock on a 5500C is directly in the spray of the rear wheel, an air shock won't be the best idea (here in Holland we very often ride in wet and muddy conditions). So in his opinion a shock with a spring will probibly last longer. Can any of you confirm this? Or is it possible to protect the shock 100% effectivily against the spray?

Greetings, Jeroen.

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: air shock and rear wheel spray
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 09:17:23 am »
I wouldn't be to worried about running an air shock,I'm in England and you know the reputation we have for rain,I'm running a risse astro5 (air shock) on my 4500 without any form of protection from the elements,though I've just had my shock rebuilt that was an internal seal leak,there was no internal contamination (I stripped it and checked) and there's still no wear on the shaft,besides previously I also blew a coil over,if your still concerned you can fit a lizard skin shock cover,don't let the elements dictate your choice of shock.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 09:34:38 am »
I woudn't worry about the spray that comes off the wheel. The same thing crossed my mind when I first started riding so I made my very own boot out of waterproof nylon and used it for a few seasons. I am now using my bike without it and don't plan on using another one. To somme it all, I never worry about it anymore.
What is the diffrence using an coil over system. The damper shaft still gets sprayed by dirt and mud.

Whatever you choose, it is always possible to protect it.

StoereVent

• Journeyman
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 09:50:08 pm »
ok, seems my LBS is wrong in this.
Now the following: I could fit a Risse or Fox Float on my bike, but has any of you an idea wether a X-Fusion O2 R, or X-Fusion O2 RC could be a possibility?

Thanks, Jeroen.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 08:23:06 am »
Personally I think that a coil shock would be more vulnerable. The only failure I have had was when pebbles got wedged into the seal on my coil over. This happened when the rubber bumper bottoms out and forces the junk under the lip. An air shock would not do this.

I only run coils, and fab my own shock boots out of fleece. It is only the rocks and pebbles I worry about, not the water. You could sew a boot out of fabric for your air shock as well if needed.

Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS