Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2024, 01:31:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 15
Total: 15
15 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Risse Astro5 faulty build ????  (Read 2389 times)

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Risse Astro5 faulty build ????
« on: August 18, 2004, 12:47:40 am »
Just went to change the oil in my Astro5 as its about a year old now and its been worked pretty hard,worn out 3 lower pivot bushes so far,but look what I found,I'm sure it wasn't assembled correctly in the first place and they split the "O"ring on assembly as some bits where found in the bearing housing threads,contacted my supplier in the UK who only wants to supply me a complete seal kit at an horrendus cost or worse send it back for a rebuild with them (would you after this ???) I've contacted risse racing to see if they can supply me the required "O" ring or give me the sizing required,awaiting there response,other than that the rest of the shock looks perfect.

yes I know the pic's not great but it'll do
Simon
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 12:49:47 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
Re: Risse Astro5 faulty build ????
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 04:59:01 am »
could you not find a similar sized o-ring and put it in instead?

do your bushings wear out from the rain and crud getting in there or just regular use???

but if you have trouble with shipping.....drop a note, here to me.

[smiley=beer.gif]

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 06:49:23 am »
could you not find a similar sized o-ring and put it in instead?

do your bushings wear out from the rain and crud getting in there or just regular use???

but if you have trouble with shipping.....drop a note, here to me.

[smiley=beer.gif]

Hi carbon angus,
yes going to a bearing supplier tomorrow to measure and match up an "o" ring,
The lower bearing ( DU bush) seems to just wear out with use (well for me it does) same with my old nr4 but not so frequent,I've never found any grit/dirt etc when I've stripped them,whilst I'm at the bearing supplier I'm going to enquire about an alternative,maybe a needle roller or sealed unit I can adapt,
thanks for the offer [smiley=beer.gif] should I get stuck you know you'll be the first to know [smiley=laughing.gif]
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 05:32:48 am »
Well got some suitable "O" rings but without trying it I decided I would get it overhauled, anyway as the o/haul kit was quite expensive I thought I may as well have the the risse agents do it,
glad I did, it had another "O" ring/seal blown causing an internal oil leak through to the air chamber,
looks like I'd just worn things out,hope this isn't a yearly thing only had it 13 months,
hope to try it this weekend but the beautifull weather we've been having is due to change [smiley=worry.gif]
Simon.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 08:02:04 am »
Simon, thanks for posting an update.

Wasn't that puppy used to begin with???

Rissse is a pretty durable shock!

Or maybe you are just hard on the bike.  I have broken two crank arms on my old 857.

[smiley=beer.gif]

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 09:21:25 am »
Simon,

Wasn't that puppy used to begin with???

Rissse is a pretty durable shock!

Or maybe you are just hard on the bike.  

[smiley=beer.gif]

I just suppose I'll have to accept that I do wear things out,blew the head seal out on the Nr4, wore out 2 lower bushes on the Nr4 and 3 on the risse,on my 4th set of forks now though they weren't completly worn out, looks like I'm kinder on cranks [smiley=laughing.gif] though had the middleburns 3yrs no problem and the previous cranks are still going strong on megaoz's bike,looks like we are at times just prone to wearing out different item's,could be down to different terrain, riding styles,dare I say maintanace (for some item's),weather conditions,I'll just have to wait and see how the risse holds up this time,I'm still well impressed with it performance though and would still recommend it.
Simon