Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:50:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 86
Total: 86
86 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: K2 5996 disc brake adaptor-photo added  (Read 48187 times)

racesrc

• Journeyman
  • WHATEVER!
Re: K2 5996 disc brake adaptor-photo added
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2011, 08:33:49 am »
99' K2 EVO 1000, shimano xt drivetrain,easton ea70 bar/post. ea90 stem. hayes stroker ace disc brakes, hope pro2 hubs on mavic xm819 rims, marzocchi bomber fork,romin saddle, xpedo pedals. kenda ust

racesrc

• Journeyman
  • WHATEVER!
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2011, 08:34:38 am »
here is what it looks like from the back
99' K2 EVO 1000, shimano xt drivetrain,easton ea70 bar/post. ea90 stem. hayes stroker ace disc brakes, hope pro2 hubs on mavic xm819 rims, marzocchi bomber fork,romin saddle, xpedo pedals. kenda ust

racesrc

• Journeyman
  • WHATEVER!
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2011, 08:35:51 am »
so like the k2 part it uses the drop-out for its strength. the 2 bolts just hold it into place

racesrc

• Journeyman
  • WHATEVER!
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2011, 08:56:58 am »
I'm new to the k2 scene, I don't know about the cf swingarm. I'm on aluminum. I thought the cf was bonded to an aluminum dropout. And k2 was just an idea. I have a few drawings. Could just do the oval like the original. Could do flames. Whatever u guys vote on. Mine will be up tomarrow if all goes well, and It's different then that. U guys will vote and then I'm going to have at least 5 more made by next week.

Oh no worries, I was hoping those that have been here a while could chime in on the CF swing arm thing.  You are right, they are bonded. 

I am from New England and it was really cool have a brand, that being ProFlex, taking it the big boys on the wet coast.  Then K2 bought them out, moved them to the west coast and within just a few years that was that.  The first thing I did with my 5500 was peel the K2 decals off.  But, that's just me.  I also like my Cross Link, so you can see I'm one of those people. :D

But a design would be really cool!
now that ironhorse baught k2 i wouldn't doubt the same fate for k2, gone in just a few years

Spokes

• Guru
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2011, 04:14:29 pm »

Firstly thats an awesome bit of work youve done getting that made.

How ever it looks to me that your metal swing arm has a different shape drop out to my carbon 4000. Your drop out has more defined angles and looks more like the one on my 857, which insidently all have pre drilled holes for disc mounts. It also looks as if your dropout is built up slightly around the area where the top hole is for the M6 bolt, or is it a shadow? That bolt is very close to the edge of the drop out. The carbon swing arms dont have any extra metal here so its possible the hole in your bracket might not line up with the dropout on the carbon arm. As you will have to drill your own holes in the carbon arm drop out you could end up with the hole breaking out of the top of the drop out. It might be nothing but I thought I'd mention it.
Can I suggest you post your mock up to some one with a carbon 4000/OZ type arm to see if it fits? Im in UK but would be happy to help?
If it turns out your adapter fits the 857 carbon arm you could have struck gold as that is probably the most wanted adapter of them all.

Ive lined up a  4000/OZ Hammerhead with a 857 tonight and theres a big difference, the holes are about 10mm further apart. But theres nothing to say the holes in the Hammerhead are where K2 would have drilled them. And the more I look at it the carbon arm drop out is curved at the rear where yours looks straight.
These are all positive observations and not criticisms in any way.

The issue of the carbon drop outs being affected by heat tranfer was much talked about during the making of the Hammerhead adapters. To over come this they were made of a grade of stainless steal that tranfered least heat and had slots cut into them to disipate it. However as the original K2 part was made from aluminium I dont see a problem.

If we can be sure it does fit the carbon arm I will have one.

Can I suggest you design and make a crosslink disc mount next  ;)

Chris

NB. I,ve just read the K2 instruction sheet from their version and it clearly says 4000(all models) so every thing I have just said could be rubbish! ha ha! it would be good to check though.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:23:59 pm by Spokes »
856's
OZx modern build
no room in big shed but always room for one more!

racesrc

• Journeyman
  • WHATEVER!
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2011, 04:46:12 pm »
thank you very much. I am proud of how this turned out. but It's the smile on my face riding it now that can't be described. I designed this out of necessity though. and only 2 weeks from finding out a part was needed and mounting the finished piece. of coarse the 90 bucks as well. being new to the k2 world I have looked at the gallery of bikes on this forum and some are very cool.  I however don't know what all drop-outs this part will fit. I printed a owners manual for mine two weeks ago and part 5996 was in the frame parts listing. I would think that any bike with this similar layout would work. I have not looked at the owners manuals for the other models. if you cab take a chunk of clay and mash it into your drop-out u can use that to have a part made. all I had was a photo of part #5996 a dremmel and a piece of plastic. and the thought that I wasn't going to let this beet me. I have said before I have never done this, I would need a bike to do it again. I don't know anyone else here in AZ. but I could post an add on Craigslist.

racesrc

• Journeyman
  • WHATEVER!
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2011, 05:28:14 pm »
a little about me, I have had a Passion for bicycles since a kid in the early 70's. 5 or 6 years ago I met my woman and stopped riding. sold my cannodale and got fat and happy. then the heart attack came. without insurance a large bill came. so this last year I decided to find a used bike I could fix up and ride to both relive an old Passion and lose wieght. I found this bike on Craigslist for a hundred bucks and took it apart and rebuilt it. eventually I sold some of the junk off it and made my hundred back. the frame and drivetrain were great, just not the other items, so over the last few months I purchased off ebay the wasting bar, stem and post. then off ebay the hope pro 2 wheelset with mavic cm819 runs with dt butted spokes hand built but used for 375 bucks. the Hayes hydrolic brakes barely used off ebay for 78 bucks 2 weeks ago, that's when I found out I needed this part. I googled it and found this forum. back in the day 10 years ago I wanted one of these, I love the frame and swingarm
now I have one. it looks and rides so good. and only 900 bucks total. loving that old feeling again jumping off curbs and wheelies, feeling free. life is short and I'm still here.

racesrc

• Journeyman
  • WHATEVER!
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2011, 05:30:08 pm »
damn phone, EASTON bar, stem and post.

racesrc

• Journeyman
  • WHATEVER!
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2011, 05:32:04 pm »
that XM 819 RIMS

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2011, 07:34:51 pm »
Do we have to pay this week?  Because I can't do that.

On the other hand, would you be willing to mail your plastic prototype to the shop I work at (and where I keep my 5500) so I can confirm for everyone that this will or will not work with EVO bikes?

Riverside Bicycle Shop
Attn: Richard Dort
101 N. Riverside
Clarksville, TN  37040

Thanks,
Richard
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

racesrc

• Journeyman
  • WHATEVER!
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2011, 07:59:12 pm »
no you don't have to pay this week. an order will be placed when I have at least 5 parts paid for. so the sooner everyone pays the sooner they get shipped. and I no longer have the plastic part. and if 5996 fits so will this. check your owners manual. print one @ k2 if u don't have one. Mine listed that part in the frame parts list

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2011, 09:07:34 pm »
Mine is a '98 and it's not in my owners manual.  Also, '98 5500 = OzM, so guess it won't.  I did misspeak earlier as I forgot all the '99 bikes were all evos.  Too bad about the plastic prototype.  It'd have been a nice way to confirm things so a mess of us carbon riders could have gotten in on the action.
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

racesrc

• Journeyman
  • WHATEVER!
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2011, 10:51:42 pm »
mine is a 99 EVO 1000. just got home from a brutal test ride. bombing down mountain roads and mashing on the brakes. Badass, I mean WOW.

racesrc

• Journeyman
  • WHATEVER!
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2011, 10:57:54 pm »
I thought about keeping the plastic piece as a souvineer, but the machinist wouldn't give it up.

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2011, 06:17:44 am »
quote - "Can I suggest you design and make a crosslink disc mount next  ;)

Chris"

That would be sweet - Here's a good place to start.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 06:22:27 am by Old Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -