Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 10:29:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 5
Total: 5
5 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: .Bottom Bracket Creak!  (Read 1761 times)

Ricky

.Bottom Bracket Creak!
« on: June 07, 2004, 01:50:45 pm »
Hi, I have alot of problems on my bike. One of them is that there seems to be a creaky sound coming everytime when i put pressure on bike. I think its the bottom bracket, do you guys have any solutions on how to fix a creaky crank? The BB is square taper

Sprucey

• Journeyman
Re: .Bottom Bracket Creak!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 12:24:44 am »
Oh, that old creak again - I wondered where mine had gone!

Seriously, it could be from many places and not all BB or crank related.

To grease or not to grease (the sq taper) that is the question? Some do, some don't. The only way to find out is through a process of elimination. Also make sure the BB cups are tight. Again try using copper grease.

Also, don't discount seatpost squeaks that sound like they come from the BB area. Either from the bottom of the seatpost where it contacts the inside of the seatube (the problem I have on my road bike) . The saddle rails also make a noise. The seatpost bottom often still happens even when standing on the pedals as the BB area flexes under heavy load) so standing up and finding the squeak is still there does not eliminate mean it does not come frommthe seatpost rubbing.

Sprucey

Ricky

Re: .Bottom Bracket Creak!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 12:45:12 am »
I fixed it, it was a loose BB that made it creak. I even greased the BB threads. Thanks!