Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 09:52:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13
Total: 13
13 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Paging OP  (Read 1378 times)

jimbo

Paging OP
« on: April 26, 2004, 01:49:58 pm »
"OP's psylo SL Pure System jiffy Maintainence"

Hey OP,

Do you know if it's possible to change oil doing your jiffy maintenance on the SL Pure system for Psylos?  The fork was serviced recently so I'd like to keep the oil change as simply as possible.

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Re: OP speaks
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 02:24:45 pm »
changing the oil in the damping side is not difficult but i'd be inclined to say keeping it at the right levels is most important.  you can do that just by removing the damping adjuster knob and unscrew the internal post that dampens the oil flow.  be sure to add a bit of oil and bleed out the air before reassembling the unit with out removing the lower unit.  the psylo guide to maintainence is on the rock shox website.  i've done this a few times when i thought i had air in the system - just takes about 5 minutes and the whole fork stays together.  cycle the fork by lenghtening and shortening the left side adjustor and or pressing down on the fork - be sure to have an overflow syringe in place to catch the oil.

i gotta tell ya one thing that has helped this fork more than anything else is this  - - - -

remove the lower unit as per instructions.  as you look inside the unit legs you'll see the upper bushing and the lower bushing about 5-6" deeper in each leg.  each bushing is about a 1/16" in thickness and there should be a groove on the bushing that oil can flow into and out of to lubricate the area -

now, forget the concept of oil flow into that area with alll the oil (10 - 20 ml) in the legs to lubricate.  it doesn't happen on this style of unit and one gets major 'stiction' at the internal bushings, NOT at the dirt seals.  all the oil sits at the base of the legs next to the dropouts.

i took a long thin screwdriver and picked up large glops of judy butter and filled in the areas between the bushings in each leg with a fine coat.  then, reinstalled the lowers.  i have not had any stiction since and the judy butter replenishes itself on the stantions at the internal bushings.  

this fork i have has been smooth as silk since then with zero maintainence.  others purchased at the same time from the same batch are quite sticky and their owners don't like it - i haven't explained my simple procedure to them as i hope to someday own these forks at a greatly discounted price.  especially "BOB's"  (and we all remember BOB now don't we - and yes, i do lay awake at night thinking of things like this to do to my neighbor, i have my ways of getting my revenge for his yappy little dog that he leaves for hours on end unattended - am i sharing too much?)

anyway, this is not a factory recommended procedure, but it should be. (IMHO)

OP
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 01:02:56 am by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

jimbo

Re: Paging OP
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 06:23:59 am »
Thanks.