Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 12:09:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8
8 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Shimano LX Freehub (K2 Proflex 4000 stock rear), missing hub spacer.  (Read 4241 times)

serviceguy

• Apprentice
I got to the point where my 4000 is almost ready to go and I hit a wall once again. Both front and rear hubs were heavily caked in dirt, grease and what not, which prompted me to take everything apart to clean and rebuild. The rear was fine once cleaned, while the front hub races were lightly pitted and the cones were completely corroded, the grease was mixed with rust. So I tried the trick with valve grinding compound to no avail and proceeded to order new cones for the front, which pretty much did the trick. I will try and build a set of wheels in any case, I've already source the period correct parts, just waiting on early Christmas!

In the middle of all this 'drama' I tried and keep everything bagged as usual but it looks like one little piece found it's way into the wilderness and now not finding it is preventing me from putting together the rear wheel. It's the, black oxide finished metal spacer that sits flush on the freehub body bevel, right behind the cassette. It's similar to one of the metal spacer found on the cassette but is indexed on the freehub body. I could not find such part being sold anywhere, does anybody know where I can find one or even has one available ? Also, knowing the correct part name would help!

Thanks in advance
'97 PF 957
'97 PF 857
'98 K2 1K
2 x '98 K2 5K
2 x '98 K2 4K
'02 K2 Bmp Mnk
'14 Salsa El Mariachi SS
'15 Salsa El Mariachi
'18 Salsa Mukluk Carbon
'19 Knolly Fugitive LT

serviceguy

• Apprentice
Re: Shimano LX Freehub (K2 Proflex 4000 stock rear), missing hub spacer.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 02:26:57 pm »
Nevermind, as I often do I stored the spacer exactly where i should have, that is with the cassette. I must have been very tired when I was looking for it and thought it was something else.
'97 PF 957
'97 PF 857
'98 K2 1K
2 x '98 K2 5K
2 x '98 K2 4K
'02 K2 Bmp Mnk
'14 Salsa El Mariachi SS
'15 Salsa El Mariachi
'18 Salsa Mukluk Carbon
'19 Knolly Fugitive LT

fyrstormer

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 03:48:04 am »
Why limit yourself to using period-correct parts? There are better parts available nowadays. Old castles still in-use all have internal plumbing nowadays, because being able to poop indoors in the winter is a good thing.

Spokes

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 08:12:08 am »
You're working hard on that 4000, well done! Post a picture of you progress so far.. ;)

Chris
856's
OZx modern build
no room in big shed but always room for one more!

serviceguy

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 10:24:08 pm »
I added a gallery with a few pictures of the bike as of now, could not post pictures from there though.

Plenty of newer parts fyrstormer, I actually went a little crazy on e-bay lately. The newer parts on the bike include:

- Ritchey WCS headset, flat handlebar and seatpost
- DMR V12 mag gray pedals
- Ergon SMC4 medium saddle
- Shimano Pro 130mm stem
- Panaracer Fire XC Pro
- Rock Shox Monarch rear shock (to be fitted, seems to be rubbing a little on the lower mounting point when upside-down, does not fit if upright)

Replacement / period correct parts include:

- XT FC-M739 Chainwheel
- XT FD-M739 Front derailleur
- IG-70 Chain
- XT BR-M739 V-brakes
- XT CS-737 Cassette

I'm also in the process of truing a set of new wheels that I laced using XT M737 hub and freewheel, Mavic 238 rimsand DT Swiss Competion 2.0/1.8 spokes. This is my first set of wheels, so I managed to mangle almost all of the nipples on the front wheel using the wrong spoke wrench...these should make it on the bike soon.

When I believed the frame was toast I placed an low ball bid on a Bumpy Monkey frame for sale on e-bay and forgot about it. I ended up winning the auction for a very reasonable price (I think) so I also have that frame now and collecting parts for it too. It came with the aluminum swingarm, rear shock (unfortunately shot NR2 which I further damaged trying to take it apart) and the coveted disc brake bracket. So I also purchased a disc brake set, this time a more modern but still kind of affordable XT M785. Matching Hub and freewheel are in the mail and will be laced with black DT Swiss Competition 2.0/1.8 spokes to Sun Ringle EQ31 rims, foing a little wider, hopefully the 2.3" tires will fit the frame. The rest of the XT M785 group will be sourced soon, not sure if going 2x10 or 3x10. And yes, I do have a compulsive disorder if you happened to wonder.

I've also just received in the mail a carbon fiber Noleen Crosslink fork again off eBay, will probably fit that one to the 4000 and have an aluminum bracket welded to the Elite Crosslink for the front disc brake...

I have to say that working on the bike and sourcing the parts has been my way to cope with my wife's health issues, working on the bike inside the house allowed me to provide all of the support needed and at the same time took my mind off the dark thoughts. On her way to recovery, she bought a cheap Diamondback herself so we should be able to go ride together soon. Unfortunately I still need to work my 10 to 12 hours a day in order to pay the rent, bills etc. but that is only Monday to Friday!

I have to confess that I can't wait to go back and wrench on my 91 Eclispe GST though...
'97 PF 957
'97 PF 857
'98 K2 1K
2 x '98 K2 5K
2 x '98 K2 4K
'02 K2 Bmp Mnk
'14 Salsa El Mariachi SS
'15 Salsa El Mariachi
'18 Salsa Mukluk Carbon
'19 Knolly Fugitive LT

Spokes

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 01:59:02 pm »
Two frames already and lots of parts bought, you're fitting in just fine!

Chris
856's
OZx modern build
no room in big shed but always room for one more!