Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 02:25:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11
11 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Proflex 855 Rear Spring Size?  (Read 3764 times)

BigO

• Novice
Proflex 855 Rear Spring Size?
« on: June 07, 2016, 03:50:48 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm looking to replace the weird custom, home fabbed rear spring setup the p/o put on the bike. It currently has a spring placed basically between a halved skateboard wheel. I know this will send some heads spinning and garner a laugh or two, but take in mind, I had no part in it, have mercy on me.  I am looking to put a proper spring in there with the appropriate hardware, but have no idea where to start and cant quite afford a proper shock as of yet. I need to know what size and compression weight I should looking for. Anything else? I am 6'4" 200lbs if that matters. If you look back a few posts to my introduction thread, you can see the setup that it came with. Thanks in advance.

fyrstormer

• Guru
Re: Proflex 855 Rear Spring Size?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 04:11:10 pm »
350lbs/in should work well for your weight. However, the rear shock on your bike was originally an elastomer shock with friction damping, meaning it has no damping now that there are no elastomers for the shock shaft to slide inside of. You'll need to replace the entire shock. I can recommend the Noleen NR-2 or NR-4 without hesitation; some people prefer ODS shocks since they're the exact same vintage as the friction-damped elastomer shocks, but I have no idea where to find one of those.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 04:13:02 pm by fyrstormer »

BigO

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 09:19:52 pm »
Thank you for the quick reply Frystormer, I understand Pro Flex is outdated and has an extremely small aftermarket, but is Noleen the only provider of shocks for our bikes or are there others? I believe I still have the original damper that comes off of the rear control arm that the original elastomers were threaded on if that even matters at this point.

fyrstormer

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 01:32:28 am »
Thank you for the quick reply Frystormer, I understand Pro Flex is outdated and has an extremely small aftermarket, but is Noleen the only provider of shocks for our bikes or are there others? I believe I still have the original damper that comes off of the rear control arm that the original elastomers were threaded on if that even matters at this point.
Risse Racing also makes shocks and an adaptor that allows them to fit the Pro-Flex rear shock strut. I just prefer Noleen.