Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 05:27:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 88
Total: 88
88 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: New 857, actually turns out to be an 856 **Bike is now finished, see page 3**  (Read 20933 times)

Akagi

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Nice looking build.

Does the platform function work properly on the bike?  Does it stop bobbing while remaining responsive from the terrain?

Also, what length of stem is that?

sammydog

• Master
    • Hunter Mountainbike Association
Nice looking build.

Does the platform function work properly on the bike?  Does it stop bobbing while remaining responsive from the terrain?

The back end is really quiet firm, no bobbing at all. When climbing it actually feels like a hardtail. That said, I am sending the shock away to be tuned specifically for the bike and my riding style (or lack thereof). Weighing up the options at the moment between two companies that tune fox shocks. I may buy a new shock and send it off to be tuned, just deciding at the moment on the best course of action. The suspension does work well though.

The stem is 110mm.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Nice looking build.

The back end is really quiet firm, no bobbing at all. When climbing it actually feels like a hardtail. That said, I am sending the shock away to be tuned specifically for the bike and my riding style (or lack thereof). Weighing up the options at the moment between two companies that tune fox shocks. I may buy a new shock and send it off to be tuned, just deciding at the moment on the best course of action. The suspension does work well though.

The stem is 110mm.
So you think the clunking is the shock?

There should be some kind of bottom-out bumper inside. Manitou says if you don't keep at least 50 psi in the platform chamber, you could damage the shock. My strut modification does the same as yours and I don't get any problems with mine.

One thing to check is the frame mounts. If the shock bushings are shifting during compression, it could clunk.

Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

fyrstormer

• Guru
Looks great! You're missing one last piece though:

See those blue bolts in place of the brake studs? Yeah, just a little bling from the blokes at Hope. 8) You should get a pair in silver and ditch the zip-tie.

sammydog

• Master
    • Hunter Mountainbike Association
Actually I will do that, hadn't seen those before. I got the hope cable guides elsewhere on the bike, but missed those.

thanks for posting that.

trajectory

• Novice
Looks great! You're missing one last piece though:
See those blue bolts in place of the brake studs? Yeah, just a little bling from the blokes at Hope. 8)

It's the little blings that show you care!  ;)
Proflex 956

fyrstormer

• Guru
hehehe...I had to read that three times before I noticed you said "blings" instead of "things". Well played, sir.  8)

Yep, I've thus far been lucky enough to get matching blue anodized accessories for this bike, like the skewer handles/nuts, cable guides, and ODI handlebar-grip clamps. It would be kinda cool if I could find blue-anodized derailleur pulleys and cable endcaps, but it's hard to beat Shimano's ball-bearing pulleys even if they are plastic.

fyrstormer

• Guru
Here is a question for everyone.

I am periodically getting a knocking sound through the rear end. Sounds like the swingarm but I am not sure. It reminds me of the sounds my old monocoque norco dh bike made.

Any one got any suggestions as to it's cause? Does anyone else get the same noise?
Well, your chainline passes below the center of the swingarm pivot, so even with the SPV shock your pedaling forces are still trying to extend the suspension. There's something in the suspension that's loose, but otherwise held in place by gravity, and you're canceling-out the gravitational compression when you pedal hard.

If your main pivot bushings and strut bushings are anything like the ones I've used, they fit WAY too tight. (I had to lathe mine down a bit to get them to turn smoothly.) So it's almost certainly not them. I'm gonna agree with everyone else and blame it on the shock bushings. Lube them up with some Noleen suspension grease and see if it goes away.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:22:04 am by fyrstormer »

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
hehehe...I had to read that three times before I noticed you said "blings" instead of "things". Well played, sir.  8)

Yep, I've thus far been lucky enough to get matching blue anodized accessories for this bike, like the skewer handles/nuts, cable guides, and ODI handlebar-grip clamps. It would be kinda cool if I could find blue-anodized derailleur pulleys and cable endcaps, but it's hard to beat Shimano's ball-bearing pulleys even if they are plastic.
Try TorontoCycles.com
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
Here is a question for everyone.

I am periodically getting a knocking sound through the rear end. Sounds like the swingarm but I am not sure. It reminds me of the sounds my old monocoque norco dh bike made.

Any one got any suggestions as to it's cause? Does anyone else get the same noise?
Well, your chainline passes below the center of the swingarm pivot, so even with the SPV shock your pedaling forces are still trying to extend the suspension. There's something in the suspension that's loose, but otherwise held in place by gravity, and you're canceling-out the gravitational compression when you pedal hard.

If your main pivot bushings and strut bushings are anything like the ones I've used, they fit WAY too tight. (I had to lathe mine down a bit to get them to turn smoothly.) So it's almost certainly not them. I'm gonna agree with everyone else and blame it on the shock bushings. Lube them up with some Noleen suspension grease and see if it goes away.

Yeh, check the shock bushings havn't ovalised and also check that they are rotating smoothly, (but that usually results in a creak rather than a clunk).
Also check the tightness of the strut to shock bolt, as I have had a clunk when that has come slightly loose.

Col.
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

fyrstormer

• Guru
Wrapping a layer or two of plumber's Teflon tape around the inner bushing race might help too, by taking up some of the slack.

God only knows why they call it plumber's tape though, I've never seen a plumber actually use the stuff. Which is why I've always had to re-fix anything I've ever had a plumber work on.  :-\

purple gerbil

• Master
What about your freehub??

THE 1 AND ONLY PURPLE GERBIL...

1991 ALPINESTARS AL-MEGA DX.
1992 PRO-FLEX 862.
1994 PRO-FLEX 954.
1994? GT RTS.
1998 GT LTS DS 2000.
1998 K2 4000se PROJECT.