Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 09:38:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8
8 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: '98 5000 Mag Review...and questions.  (Read 1949 times)

Yak

• Novice
  • '98 k2/Pro-Flex 5000
'98 5000 Mag Review...and questions.
« on: October 27, 2003, 04:39:10 pm »
Does anyone have a scan of a magazine article review of the 5000 (or similar)of '98.  Such as from MBA or BIKE etc...  Im really curious to see what they though back then.

I bought a 98' 5000 in the beginning of '99 and was really into it for a while.  As time passed, I lost interest and the bike sat for 2 years with virtually no use.  Just recently I dusted it off and completely cleaned the drive train and went for a spin, it was so fun, I realized I had wasted those years that I didnt get to ride it.  Now the design is so dated, with VPP, and the new generation 4-bars.  

Im really curious how this EVO design has spawned so much hatred towards K2 on MTBR.com.  I never thought there was a fault with the bike, but so many others on MTBR claim its no good.

I paid $1200 in '99 for it, so I feel I did OK.  People like to compare $1200 bikes to their $3000 bikes and then have the nerve to judge them as equals.  Some people dont get it.

So, is this design really that bad, or is most of the yuppie MTB community brainwashed with fancy marketing and frivelous complicated designs.  What am I missing??

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
Re: '98 5000 Mag Review...and questions.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 01:30:15 am »
I don't know about the 98 but I know the 2000 evo got decent reviews. I know I'm happy with the design, certainly at the price, but that doesn't mean that the newer stuff is frivolous, there are better fs designs!

Phillip

• Journeyman
  • lead, follow or ...
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 01:50:08 am »
Yak,

I have a test report on the'98 4000 in MTB Action magazine. I'll see if I can find someone with a scanner to download it.

I'm not sure about mtb review readers hating the EVO. When I bought mine several years ago, it had a very high rating. I remember it had the exact same number of reports and exact same rating as the Santa Cruz Super Light (a very similar design).

http://tinyurl.com/sp58

Check out this, 43 reviews with an average rating of 4.77! That's about as good as it gets.

http://tinyurl.com/sp62

« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 02:00:49 am by Phillip »

Yak

• Novice
  • '98 k2/Pro-Flex 5000
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 02:34:56 am »
Im not neccessarily talking about the reviews of K2 on MTBR.  Most of the reviews are from people that own the bike, if they own it , they obviously like it.

Im talking about the general attitude you come across in the discussion forums.  For every guy that says he loves k2, 2-3 others always chime in with negativity.  Maybe I'm not looking very hard, but other mass brands like Trek, schwinn, GT etc...  dont get this outright dislike, whether they may or may not be inferior to the K2.

Does anyone else see the same thing?

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 03:26:01 am »
http://idriders.com/proflex/files/aug.jpg

this is a scan of an EVO from MBA

most of the crit. comes from the Nr-2 and fork choices (Noleen) that k2 used. k2 had ownership in Noleen and used their products. it was thought to be a good thing financially and with regards to economies of scale and production runs, but the product wasn't that great as there was not really any evolution/improvement of the nr-2/Noleen Mega~Air once the initial product came out. they just got out dated. the EVO frame itself is a solid performer and for the most part bullet-proof when used as intended.

i hear lots of complaints about other brands big and small. i think Pro~Flex k2 riders are just more passionate about their bikes because at one time they were unique (the older ones still are [smiley=nod.gif] ) sorta like a Corvair owners club or Triumph or something like that  ???

if you do what OP says..upgrade the shock and fork...IMO, you can't go wrong.

jimbo

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 12:33:06 pm »
I've said this before.  The only real weakness of this frame that can't be remedied with newer stuff is the tire clearance in the back.  When I ride in clay type mud, the bike comes to a grinding halt.  

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 03:05:42 pm »
Im talking about the general attitude you come across in the discussion forums.  For every guy that says he loves k2, 2-3 others always chime in with negativity.  Maybe I'm not looking very hard, but other mass brands like Trek, schwinn, GT etc...  dont get this outright dislike, whether they may or may not be inferior to the K2.
Does anyone else see the same thing?

Way off. I'm ashamed to say that I've probably spent as much time on MTBR as everyone else on this forum combined, and as was mentioned already, the ONLY negativity toward the bikes is directed at the Noleen parts. Otherwise, K2 bikes are quite popular, even on MTBR. Granted, they're popular among people who aren't willing to spend a ton of money on a frame (for the most part), but having ridden other designs, I don't think there's nearly as much difference as the prices would indicate.

The 5000 was hailed as a great bike in MBAction when it was new. "Bob free" was the part I remember. I guess everything is relative...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5