Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 06:47:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 6
Total: 6
6 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Chubby LT transformation  (Read 3649 times)

GET

• Journeyman
  • Where are the land bridges?
Chubby LT transformation
« on: February 23, 2003, 08:03:09 am »
I wanted to thank Keith Skidmore for passing along some great improvement ideas for the Chubby Long Travel on my Animal.  I just got back from my first real shake-down of the improvements and all I can say is "Wow!"  I was banging over rocks and dropping off ledges and hardly felt a thing.  I know I'll probably take some guff for this, but some of us can't afford big dollar forks yet and this really worked.

The changes amounted to getting rid of the RST rock-hard elasotmers and replacing them with metal springs and Rock Shock elastomers.  I also opened the "air" damping a small bit.  I got some Marzochi metal springs and the RS elastomers from the spare parts drawer of my LBS (at a substantial discount because they were broken sets).  All-in-all, a great upgrade. :) ;D :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2003, 08:29:23 am by GET »
Physics rules!   (5500C & Animal)

Prowler

• Apprentice
    • Jays FR MTB site
Re: Chubby LT transformation
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 08:58:24 am »
No more hard fork on the cold days, huh. :) I had a Rock Shox Judy XL that was too flexy but plush and a Chubby that was stiffer but filled with hard sponges. So I took the internals from the Judy and put them in the Chubby and it made a huge improvement. Granted, I no longer had the rebound control from the Judy, but it didn't ever work worth a crap anyway.

If anybody is interested, I have some extra coil springs and elastomers(soft and medium as best I can remember) that I would be happy to part with for a very small fee.
Iron Horse SGS Expert DH/FR
Cheeta Prowler DH(RIP-broke it)
K2 EVO FR/Trail

IFO

• Journeyman
  • Is A-line open yet?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 11:11:04 am »
nice to hear you got your fork worknig good...

got any action pics???

;D
if i cry a tear everyday till A-line re-opens i'll have a lake in my house...8-(

GET

• Journeyman
  • Where are the land bridges?
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 11:47:27 am »
No. [smiley=disbelief.gif]  But funny you should ask.  The guy that was riding behind me said he wished he had his helmet cam with him as I missed a turn on one descent, went into the woods, and eventually over the bars and into a tuck-and-roll.  Fortunately, only minor bruises and hurt pride.  Would'a been a good flick ... for a laugh ... later.

But, it was a great ride today!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2003, 11:48:14 am by GET »
Physics rules!   (5500C & Animal)

IFO

• Journeyman
  • Is A-line open yet?
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 12:55:50 pm »
yeah the only thing better then action shots are crash sequences...

to bad...

my rock drop/ 20' nose wheeelie/ endo crash from last week would have been a beaut... [smiley=laughing.gif]
if i cry a tear everyday till A-line re-opens i'll have a lake in my house...8-(

jimbo

Hey IFO
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 01:41:53 pm »
my rock drop/ 20' nose wheeelie/ endo crash from last week would have been a beaut... [smiley=laughing.gif]

I remember you piled up pretty good a while back and ended up in the ER [smiley=coolfrown.gif].  Were you wearing any armor in that pile up ???  What kind of armor do you wear now?  Do you mix and match depending on the type of ride?

IFO

• Journeyman
  • Is A-line open yet?
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2003, 02:30:49 pm »
no my Whistler crash was "pre-wear every type of armor"....i was only wearing leg/arm armor then...

now i wear everything....from foot tofullface.. yes i actualy have foot armor...

i wear AXO descend boots, they offer ankle protection... awesome shoes... even offer a SPD insert if u like clipless pedals... [smiley=disbelief.gif]

i have tons of different types of armor... i was always on the lookout for the "ultimate" set... IM still looking...hahaha

i use the following now:
NSMB(black) jersey/ or FOX (red) jersey
BELL bellistic "chrome" fullface/ Troylee "chrome"Visor
Azonic Z5 upper body suit
Fox Raptor Knee armor
Axo descend boots
Acerbis MX gloves /Carbon fiber knuckle guards

and for Whistler only i also wear on top a Acerbis Fusion MX chest deflector....

for more XC oriented rides (my idea of XC is style knarly) includes:

Cove bike shop(yellow) jersey
a BELL EVO pro helmet(yellow)
661 arm guards
Roach leg armor (custom yellow color)
Azonic Moto gloves
and my AXO descends....

i also have a set of 661 Race leg armor, and i also have had the following:

V-top leg armor (sold/gave to freind)
Azonic arm armor(sold/gave to friend)
Dianese leg armor(sold/gave to friend)

oh and for Winter-rides i have FOX (half-pipe) gloves and Azonic (neoprene) leg armor...i only wear the Azonic on cold days thou, cuz its like a mini-oven in them... :-[

i think thats it, heeheheh.... im a gear-whore...what can i say... [smiley=laughing.gif]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2003, 02:32:29 pm by IFO »

jimbo

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2003, 02:47:20 pm »
Do you know of any armor that can protect the shoulder without wearing a full on bodysuit?  It seems alot of the bikers I know have broken their collar bone.  Most of our rides are aggressive XC.  We recently started hitting our downhill trail so I bought a full face for that.  I normally wear 661 elbow and knee pads.  I do notice I seem to get cut and bruises on any part of my body that's not covered.  Of course that's my fault for piling up all the time. [smiley=turtle.gif]

IFO

• Journeyman
  • Is A-line open yet?
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2003, 03:15:00 pm »
crashs will ALWAYS find a way to hit u on unprotected parts...

thats just the trail gods having a laff at your expense... [smiley=worry.gif]

oh, NOTHING will prevent a broken collarbone... those bones break due to excessive movement of teh shoulder joint... armor will absorb the impact energy, but it wont stop your shoulder from moving...

my Whistler crash would still have resulted in a broken Clavical (collarbone) but i might not have gotten the (broken ribs/punctured lung) if i was wearing what i wear now...

its hard to say....

u know that almost EVERY freeride/DH rider has broken thier collarbone at one time or another right? its the single most "popular" bone to break...

it suks Humans are built to weak...

we still need more R&D development time.... :o

jimbo

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2003, 03:55:08 pm »
"we still need more R&D development time.... "

Yep, about a million years.

Check out this Dainese Air Bag for motocyclist:

http://www.dainese.com/movies/popvideoqthi.asp?nvideo=video3

IFO

• Journeyman
  • Is A-line open yet?
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2003, 04:15:08 pm »
except u'd have to replace em every time, or buy em by the gross...

haah, no arm airbag, im dissapointed.... [smiley=yawn.gif]