Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 09:21:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8
8 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: yet another carbon frame  (Read 2150 times)

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
yet another carbon frame
« on: September 12, 2003, 08:51:28 am »
well guys, I did it. I bought yet another carbon bike frame. this is my third, counting my road bike and my Oz. this is a Giant carbon HT frame, not a Proflex/K2.
Naturally, it will have to get a cool paint job.
I really have to stop watching American Chopper before I go broke buying and building bikes.
here's a pic. its actually quite cool frame I think. its obviously not my bike but give you an idea what the frame looks like. let me know what you think.  [smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
Re: yet another carbon frame
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 10:24:31 am »
that frame has SINGLE SPEED written ALL OVER IT!

i wouldn't trick out the frame color/paint job, but work with the decals and colors into the rims, fork brakes...etc. i already like the "gold tone" accents.

on second look..what kinda sticker is that on the top tube???  ???

keep it black and gold or black and pewter or black and....you get the idea

[smiley=beer.gif]

jimbo

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 10:36:07 am »
Dennis,

How about adding this one to your carbon collection.  It's on sale:

http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp?compflag=0&parentid=20127&company=EPX&secid=7559&subid=1818

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 02:42:44 pm »
Carbon,
I like your idea, but my components are, yes you guessed it, blue. Also, I am going to be using my custom painted xlink on it (the one that was originally on Blue Crush) and the custom painted Rev X wheels, so I am going to do something with blue and silver, but different than Blue Crush. On second thought I do have pewter Precision Billet derailluers, but alas, the brakes and brake levers are blue. The brakes are on Blue Crush right now, but that bike will be converted to discs over the winter. black and blue??

Jimbo,
hey that thing looks pretty cool and the price is right. Also, its totally the right size for me. Might fit me better than my Oz. The medium Oz is just on the limit of being too big for me, but I love it anyway.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2003, 02:44:53 pm by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 03:09:17 pm »
The medium Oz is just on the limit of being too big for me [smiley=groucho.gif]

Dennis, just out of curiosity, how tall are you?
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2003, 01:52:52 am »
Matno,
I am 5'  7.75". used to be 5' 8" but have lost a bit over the years. I don't have much clearance over the top tube of the Oz.
[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2003, 04:12:21 am »
The shape of the Supergo frame does have a lower top tube,  but I have a hard time imagining that you're too small for a medium. My father in law is 5'8" and he fits a Large EVO perfectly (he has short legs and a long torso). My wife is only 5'4" and her medium EVO fits her just right. Incidentally, the difference between the sizes is mostly just top tube length. Standover height between the medium and large frames I have is IDENTICAL. Seems a little weird, but that's the way it is...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2003, 04:45:29 am »
Matno,
I have also noticed that the only difference between the medium and large sizes is top tube length.
the Oz just feels bigger to me than my hardtail, maybe because of the rear suspension, I'm not sure.
It took a bit to get used to the size of the Oz.
part of it is that the riser bars I have on the Oz are two inches wider than the bars I have on the hardtail, so it feels bigger that way, but still I don't have much standover clearance.
Is that the same for your relatives?
[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2003, 05:23:51 pm »
Actually, I'm not sure that either of them pays much attention to standover height since they're not exactly technical riders. However, I do know that my wife can stand over her medium EVO with at least minimal clearance. I wish I could get her to be a little more adventurous on it though!

The wider bars do make a big difference in feel (for the better, IMO). I agree that they make the bike feel a little "bigger." You might try rotating the bars a bit for a different feel. My bro-in-law and I once rode identical Jekylls for a few days, but his "felt" noticeably bigger for some reason. We measured them to make sure all components were the same size, and it turned out that the ONLY difference was that his riser bar was slightly more rotated forward. It was amazing how noticeable it was to both of us. Just a thought...

Gregman

• Novice
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2003, 10:48:47 am »
your 5' 7.75" and the med OZ is too big for you?   I am 5' 5" and ride a med OZM it I have always thought it was a tad too large especially from coming from a small Animal before I got the OZM.    I have been using the OZM on the road with 1" slicks mostly these days is its size there is just perfect (would be nice if it was 10 pounds lighter).

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2003, 02:39:09 pm »
Greg,
its almost too big. it fits me, but I have minimal standover clearance. You must have legs that are the same length as mine if you can fit over the top tube.
it is a great bike, I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I do wish I had a tad more standover.
Maybe I am just used to riding a slightly too small hardtail, I don't know.
[smiley=groucho.gif]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2003, 02:39:59 pm by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

Phillip

• Journeyman
  • lead, follow or ...
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2003, 03:18:49 am »
Dennis,
There is one way to lower the standover height. Run a 7 7/8" rear shock and a 80mm fork. If I remember, your OZ has an adjustable fork. Try running it on a minimum travel setting. Just an idea.

Gregman

• Novice
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2003, 06:09:01 pm »
Dennis - I agree on the stand over height,  I wish I had more as well.   Its embarressing when I am stopped, standing still while on the bike and my nuts are resting on the top of the bike with like an inch of clearence.

Phillip  - your saying that I can actually lower the stand over height?   I am running the carbon crosslink smart shock, I am assuming that this can't be adjusted to what your saying.   What rear shock would you reccommend for lowering purposes??

Phillip

• Journeyman
  • lead, follow or ...
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2003, 11:45:47 pm »
Gregman,
It would be fairly easy to locate a Fox vanilla RC in the 7 7/8" lenght. E bay has them on a regular basis. Regarding your fork, I don't believe there is any way to modify it. Maybe  someone else  has a suggestion for this. Be forewarned, if you only shorten the rear shock, your steering geometry will be slioghtly changed. Not a big deal, but your steering speed will be slightly slower.
One more idea, maybe you could find tires that have a lower profile.  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 11:48:39 pm by Phillip »