Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 01:44:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9
9 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Pivot of DOOM! Help?  (Read 10687 times)

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
Re: Pivot of DOOM! Help?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 09:43:57 am »
mmmm inches??  what are those  ;)  is that the official k2 drawing cos if it is ill have a word with my mate and try and get some machined either next week or the week after depending on which shift he is on. shouldnt take him too long id have done it myself but the lathe i use now has a 22 inch chuck!  watch this space :)
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 01:24:11 pm »
mmmm inches??  what are those  ;)  is that the official k2 drawing cos if it is ill have a word with my mate and try and get some machined either next week or the week after depending on which shift he is on. shouldnt take him too long id have done it myself but the lathe i use now has a 22 inch chuck!  watch this space :)
It is not an official drawing. I was able to have measurements and a drawing made of my pivot face insert and the dimensions pan out. You could probably use 6061-T6, but the material is really hard, so I suggest 7075. If you need, I can list the metric conversion, or you can just divide by .03937 to get meters.

22 inch chuck! Nice! :o Are you a machinist? I am more of a mill and drill guy. I just can't get my head around turning. ???

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

jeffhop

• Guru
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 01:39:59 pm »
yeah, been a turner for the last 18 years, ive no idea what grade aluminium that he will use as all they get in is lengths of bar, itll be the same stuff that i made my shock bushes for the oz out of, dont worry about the metric conversion i can do that no probs. there are times when i wish i hadnt left that job for pastures new as now i cant do any machining for myself. now it all depends on what shift he is on.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2008, 11:47:48 pm »
if i can email you guys a pic,i think i have the inserts here...

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 11:52:49 pm by kiwi »
kiwi proflex rider

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2008, 08:44:19 am »
if i can email you guys a pic,i think i have the inserts here...

Yes, that is them. The elusive pivot face inserts are on the left and right. ;D

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2008, 01:45:16 am »
they are surplus to my requirements......anyone can have em for the price of the postage....
kiwi proflex rider

jeffhop

• Guru
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2008, 04:45:24 am »
ive passed on the drawing of the pivot face inserts to my mate who is going to machine them. hopefully later this week i will have them done.

skoddy

• Novice
  • I'll be there with pants on!
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2008, 11:23:10 am »
Hi guys!  Wow!  I haven't been able to log on for a few days, and look at all I missed!  I really don't know what to say in thanks for all your effort. I didn't mean to cause so much work, but hopefully having this info stored here will help future riders.
  I'm confused though.  I see the pictures of Kiwi's inserts (thanks Kiwi!)  and realize that the PFI's aren't threaded.  I just assumed they were threaded into the red-anodized sleeve that's bonded into the bike.  So...what does thread into the red sleeve? 
    Jeffhop--If you're really willing to have/or already have had the PFI's machined, I'd be honored to to put them in my bike.  If it get to be a hassle let me know, as Kiwi has offered up the inserts as pictured.
  Thanks to all of you.  I've told pretty much anyone who'd listen about how I posted on here asking for help, and what you've all offered in return.  They can't really believe it either!
-Scott-

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2008, 09:53:38 pm »
   You're gonna love this one.  I took off what hardware was left, and this was what I found.  The two black flanges each have a hard-plastic liner that the 'axle' rode on.  With each side's respective flange threaded into the frame, there was a gap between their two ends in the center of the pivot-point, so Mr. funnyguy used a poorly cut piece of plastic hose of some kind to make up the difference.  Sure, the bulk of the weight from the axle was riding on the threaded pieces, but still.  Shameful, despite the shocking fact that it worked and held up so well!
   So this is red anodized bit is what's bonded into my frame.  Please tell me at least *this* much is correct!  I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. 
   As per the K2 diagrams I've been looking at, it doesn't look like any other models used the same pivot hardware as the carbon frames.  Am I mistaken?  It's just that as far as finding OE parts to use, I'm going to wager that I'd have a hard time sourcing the parts...but finding another model on craigslist or something is doable.  Someone willing to trade the NR-2 I took off the back, for pivot parts would be a dream  :D hahaha
  Thanks for listening, guys.  I welcome any options you may think of.

Do you see the treads on your black disc? Ok, those afterthought sleeves  need to come out and tossed. Then bond your black threaded discs into the red threads of your frame. Then  press or shove the pivot face inserts into them. Now you are ready for Jeffhop's spare parts.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

skoddy

• Novice
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2008, 10:22:55 pm »
Understood.  I didn't see those parts (the ones I have) on the K2 diagrams so I thought that the pivot face inserts took their place. 
   Bushings have been extracted.  Ready for happy marriage to long-lost factory intended parts.  Thanks Terry

-Scott-

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2008, 04:57:33 pm »
Sidenote to the POD!

I epoxied my threaded insert in and let it cure for a few days. Nice and clean and lubed, and tuned.

Last night I took the Oz out for a shakedown, and an annoying creak was missing. ;D ;D So I hammered away with delight only to snap the rear cluster on a climb, and was jammed right into the spokes. The freewheel ended up frozen. ???

Pulled the chain and Fred Flintstoned it 2 miles back to the trailhead. >:( >:(

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2008, 11:19:27 pm »
Sidenote to the POD!
I epoxied my threaded insert in and let it cure for a few days. Nice and clean and lubed, and tuned.
Last night I took the Oz out for a shakedown, and an annoying creak was missing. ;D ;D So I hammered away with delight only to snap the rear cluster on a climb, and was jammed right into the spokes. The freewheel ended up frozen. ???
Pulled the chain and Fred Flintstoned it 2 miles back to the trailhead. >:( >:(
you beast Terry
kiwi proflex rider

skoddy

• Novice
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2008, 09:01:59 pm »
But, hey.....at least you didn't have to listen to any damned squeaking on the way back :D
  Were you able to fully remove the insert prior to epoxying, or was it just loose?
  I had to 'Flintstone it' back once, and in the quiet of coasting I noticed a slight 'clunking' I'd never picked up on.  It was the drive side dropout knocking around.  I re-epoxied, and it's held surprisingly well since.  Amazing what you notice when you're not hammering around, focussed on not hitting trees and things!

-S-

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2008, 08:00:18 am »
But, hey.....at least you didn't have to listen to any damned squeaking on the way back :D
  Were you able to fully remove the insert prior to epoxying, or was it just loose?

-S-
When I dropped the swingarm to look at the pivot face, I thought I might slip the pivot face insert out. But it was stuck and the threaded frame piece was able to wiggle :o, so I just unscrewed it frome the frame, revealing the red skeleton area. There was no adhesive on the threads at all, and the carbon has a flex factor to it, so I epoxied the threads.

How are you coming with your Oz?

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

jeffhop

• Guru
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »
`UPDATE`  ive had a phone call off my mate and the pivot face inserts are being machined as per drawing tonight and i will be picking them up tomorrow night all being well. so hopefully scott i can get them posted for you at the weekend or early next week at the latest.