Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 12:47:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11
11 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Annual conversation  (Read 12672 times)

StoereVent

• Journeyman
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct
Re: Annual conversation
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 06:56:17 am »
Can anyone explain why the Discovery guys can't deal with the mountains this year? Last year they rode in front from bottom to the top. Is it just the thah Armstrong isn't there anymore?

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 09:37:40 am »

what about Karpets?

it's a very interesting TDF. last year it was all about where is Lance vs the other GC riders.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 09:40:10 am by carbon_angus »

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 11:20:39 am »
naaah its curtains for carpets!
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!

jeffhop

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 11:23:33 am »
the disco boys lack a real leader, hincapie, popo, and savo cant match lance in terms of leadership, they should come out and say `right its xxx we are behind` not wait and see who is the strongest. imo.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2006, 11:00:03 am »
I honestly think that half the teams fall into that category.....discovery (and others) now need to decide who they are going to support.Classic yesterday,do lotto support Cadel Evans or McEwen?.I think the answer is evident......
On stage 12 we kiwis had our proudest moment,I saw a NZ supporters flag,and Phill Liggest mentioned Julian Dean,the only kiwi in the tour...domestique for Credit Agricole.
kiwi proflex rider

StoereVent

• Journeyman
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 06:59:23 pm »
It's no wonder that CSC and T-mobile have problems to find a new leader at this moment. For most of the other teams there is no excuse: simply not professional enough? It seems that the absence of Armstrong set the professionalism of cycling back a few decades. But is sure makes following the Tour a lot more fun.
I was never a big Armstrong fan, but that needs time. Just now I already see that it was for the biggest part his accomplishment that his team ruled the Tour for so long. A few more years and I fully can admire the things he did.

Jeroen.

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2006, 10:56:29 am »
yes the manager of team discovery said the same thing Jeroen.
kiwi proflex rider

StoereVent

• Journeyman
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 08:23:18 am »
Yes!! Mountainbiker power! Rasmussen did a wonderful job! Is it all over for Landis? Was the 30 minute escape of Pereiro the biggest mistake of all the others? Wat a spectacle!

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 08:36:28 am »
Yes!! Mountainbiker power! Rasmussen did a wonderful job! Is it all over for Landis? Was the 30 minute escape of Pereiro the biggest mistake of all the others? Wat a spectacle!

I'd have to agree with that strategy so far....I am just amazed at their stamina. My son thinks I could keep up with these guys for one stage only..yeah right.

I might be able to do it if I could rest during commercial breaks on OLN and sit in the sag car as it sped along.....finish that is...after dark has fallen.

MOst of the "sprinters" are so far back or are even DNF's now. The real men do ride the mountains.

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2006, 08:50:32 pm »
what a day.i was day dreaming during the day today that landis would be all fired up and come out and win the stage,but not blow them all away,he is only 30 seconds off the yellow jersey,1st to 11th back to third in three stages!.I think he can do it
kiwi proflex rider

jeffhop

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2006, 02:24:16 am »
if anyone ever deserves to win the tdf then its landis, i cant recall a ride like it, unbelieveable! i dont think there are enough superlatives to describe what he did 18hrs after running out of gas. incredible!!

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2006, 05:00:21 pm »
if anyone ever deserves to win the tdf then its landis, i cant recall a ride like it, unbelieveable! i dont think there are enough superlatives to describe what he did 18hrs after running out of gas. incredible!!

Rassmussens ride was pretty incredible!
kiwi proflex rider

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006, 11:15:55 am »
Another topsy turvy stage.Landis got time back on Pierra(sp) and Sastre,so now leads,Kloden had an incredible ride,Sastre had a bad un,so kloden is now third....Will it change again??
kiwi proflex rider

StoereVent

• Journeyman
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2006, 08:04:11 pm »
What a Tour! An other American to win... Ok, he really deserves it, but I feel the biggest looser (I don't mean this in a negative way) is Klöden, or actually T-Mobile. First it was a tactical mistake of all teams to let Pereiro win half an hour. But after that it was T-Mobiles mistake to let Landis win this much time on Klöden in the race to Morzine (BTW: an very good place for a mountainbike holiday!! contact me if you want a very nice address to stay: 100% mountainbike compatible, nice but simple apartments, very good food etc!). At the time they started their try to win time back on Landis, the gap between Landis and Klöden didn't grow or get smaller. So they should have started their try earlier in the stage. They thought Landis was bluffing and wouldn't be able to keep his advantage on the Joux Plane. How wrong that was is now totally clear.
Maybe a good plan for every following year: take the biggest favourites out of the race the day before starting it? You get a surprising Tour every year.

Greetings, Jeroen.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 10:25:57 pm by stoerevent »

jeffhop

• Guru
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2006, 08:52:42 pm »
agreed Rasmussens ride was an incredible ride but, he was never a gc contender so was allowed a lot more leeway than Landis, it was a huge  mistake by the other teams not to chase earlier but it shouldnt detract from what was an awesome ride.