Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 06:07:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9
9 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Your K2 sidelined by Fires?  (Read 2720 times)

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Your K2 sidelined by Fires?
« on: September 30, 2005, 03:54:38 am »
*%)(&#%^$,    Can't ride my Oz this weekend!

I know of 3 of us members smoked out because of the fires in Los Angeles. Or our trails are burned up or threatened. There is a dense layer of smoke blanketing Los Angeles and the coastal Mountain ranges.

I won't be able to ride for about a week. Anyone else caught up in this mess?

BTW, looks like some bastard arsons lit the fires. Three in succession just downwind of each other. Heard a telecopter reporter comment on a discussion with a firefighter, and then the media put a clamp on it to stop copycat fires. The first fire started just above Mechanic395's house at 4 in the morning. I could see the smoke driving into work.

Again, I repeat. %$#(!@#@^%**&

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: Your K2 sidelined by Fires?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 05:10:14 am »
Bloody hell your getting it over there,
Fires,Floods,Hurricane's
Hope everyone's Safe and Well,
I can't believe the stupidity of people starting these Fires,life can be hard enough with natural disasters,
I'm sure you'll be up and riding again soon and those
responsible for the fires are hopefully put away for a long time.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Mechanic395

• Novice
  • Smile...
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 06:11:31 am »
I've been out of town and flew back in after dark last night.  We flew right over the fires at the west end of the valley!  It was amazing.  Never seen anything like that before.  Also weird that the plane flew through the smoke and sucked it into the cabin.  Everyone got off the plane smelling like a brush fire.

I'm anxious to find out which trails were burnt and which ones will be closed for the weekend.  Looks like Rocky Peak is still off-limits, but maybe Brown's will be open.  Still up for a ride this weekend?
5K Large with Monkey Lite, Deore RapidFires, LX Crankset, XT r. Der., LX f. Der., Avid brakes, Stratos Helix Exp., Mavic rims, SRAM 990 cass. & chain.  29 lbs. on bathroom scale!

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 07:34:45 am »
OP has been in the middle of some fires last year or years prior down there.

Oh, Simon....EARTHQUAKES, too.....don't forget!

What do you guys have in the UK to stress about besides bad food and hangovers? [smiley=laughing.gif]

[smiley=beer.gif]

will

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 08:04:34 am »
Hurricanes don't have to be so bad... the only times they bothered me was on a ship.

It's the #$^@$& poorly constructed buildings and folks who insist on living at or below sea level that cause problems. (And yes, I lived in the direct path of the worst hurricane in US history - Andrew)

Actually, huricane Rita provided some killer windsurfing in East Texas last weekend...

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 10:19:28 am »
OP has been in the middle of some fires last year or years prior down there.

Oh, Simon....EARTHQUAKES, too.....don't forget!

What do you guys have in the UK to stress about besides bad food and hangovers? [smiley=laughing.gif]

[smiley=beer.gif]

Sorry forgot the Earthquakes,my bad,honest we do get to see most of what goes on [smiley=laughing.gif]
Actually foods pretty good these days,we have loads
of so called celebrity chefs over here now and everones on the healty food and quality bandwagon
hey even Macdonalds is trying [smiley=laughing.gif]
The only thing we have to stress about is (wait for it)
yep bloody RAIN,
OH and don't forget the awfull high cost of living,fuel cost (approx £4.30 a UK Gallon,work that out in $$$,try not to faint)
useless government,crap justise system and on it goes,bugger I could rant on forever,
don't think we get hangovers anymore were so stressed out don't think we ever sober up :P
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Mechanic395

• Novice
  • Smile...
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 11:08:53 am »
Drove up through Brown's Canyon this afternoon to take a look.  Only part of it burned, and the trails are open, so if the smoke clears out we can ride it again.  Here's what the upper parking area looks like.

Upper Browns Canyon

This area burned two years ago.  Much more spectacular then as there was a LOT more brush.  Shovelon mentioned this fire was just above my house.  I didn't get pictures this time, but I posted pictures from the '03 fire in my gallery so you can see what it looked like last time.

My Gallery

« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 11:14:06 am by Mechanic395 »
5K Large with Monkey Lite, Deore RapidFires, LX Crankset, XT r. Der., LX f. Der., Avid brakes, Stratos Helix Exp., Mavic rims, SRAM 990 cass. & chain.  29 lbs. on bathroom scale!

bikendan

• Journeyman
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 07:16:42 pm »
 :o [smiley=redface.gif] [smiley=worry.gif] [smiley=dead.gif]
having been a socal rider for many years and a firefighter for a few years there(ventura county), i can vouch for the excellent areas that are going to be off-limits for a while. i rode a lot at cheseboro canyon and a few times over in simi/santa susana.
i have a feeling that they let the fire burn over some of the uninhabited areas, to burn out the build up of fuel.
i also happened to have been in the l.a. area on wed.
i was leaving, heading back to napa, and saw the west side of the S.F. Valley, all lit up. i knew it was going to be nasty. but i worked the '93 firestorms and they were a LOT worse!!!!
just hope you guys in the area will be able to get back on the trails soon.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 11:58:51 am »
Drove up through Brown's Canyon this afternoon to take a look.  Only part of it burned, and the trails are open, so if the smoke clears out we can ride it again.  Here's what the upper parking area looks like.

Upper Browns Canyon

This area burned two years ago.  Much more spectacular then as there was a LOT more brush.  Shovelon mentioned this fire was just above my house.  I didn't get pictures this time, but I posted pictures from the '03 fire in my gallery so you can see what it looked like last time.

My Gallery

what will happen when it rains? will there be any seeding or erosion control?

good luck [smiley=beer.gif]

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 12:23:11 am »
crikey, we just don't get much in the way of natural disasters here in Scotland - OK, except for combination of donner kebab, 8 pints and a few alcopop chasers.

callum
rds
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 01:03:14 am »
In Southern California, it is said that the four seasons are:

Riots, Earthquakes, Floods and Fires

Kinda makes you wonder why the real estate is some of the most expensive in the world.

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 03:21:27 am »
Kinda makes you wonder why the real estate is some of the most expensive in the world.

It's the weather...

Lucky suckers!  ::)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5