Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:40:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 65
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 58
Total: 58
58 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: aftermarket rear shock question  (Read 3195 times)

Shaitaan

• Apprentice
aftermarket rear shock question
« on: May 17, 2011, 05:01:17 pm »
Seeing that I'm working on builds for my 4500 and 5000 frames, and I have a few friends that've been trying to talk me out of the marzocchi roco rear shock I was looking at for my 4500...  one of the real questions I have, since I'm going for an air shock vs coil on my 4500 for weight savings....what is the difference in low vs high tune/compression air shocks? being that my mentality, let alone info on bike builds is still in the stone age, I have no clue about this at all...I still run an air/oil XC300 marzocchi fork on my 854..
my rides:
ProFlex 1994 854 custom
ProFlex 1996 756
1998 K2 Proflex 4500 custom
1998 K2 Proflex 5000 frame waiting to be built

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: aftermarket rear shock question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 08:12:58 am »
Seeing that I'm working on builds for my 4500 and 5000 frames, and I have a few friends that've been trying to talk me out of the marzocchi roco rear shock I was looking at for my 4500...  one of the real questions I have, since I'm going for an air shock vs coil on my 4500 for weight savings....what is the difference in low vs high tune/compression air shocks? being that my mentality, let alone info on bike builds is still in the stone age, I have no clue about this at all...I still run an air/oil XC300 marzocchi fork on my 854..

Don't know what you mean about low versus high tune.

I went with platform air shocks on my bikes. Manitou Swinger 3 way. The semi active pivot locations on the x57 and Evo frames don't require much platform, but I add a tad to get rid of any monkey motion on steep climbing. Once the stroke breaks thru, the action is fluid.

On my Oz, I did have to shave a tad off the shock body to clear the seam between the mounting plates. Otherwise you could mount upside down.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Shaitaan

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 05:52:40 pm »
the sad part is, with all the new high end shocks now, coil or air sprung, you have more than one 'tune' to choose from... even most of the coil shocks now,  it isn't just about buying a new coil to fit the rider...
...the air volume is just what it sounds like...bigger shock can, more air volume, more compression.......for ex.  rockshox monarch RT3 and RT3 plus, or even the Monarch 4.2, you have all these choices for the same length and throw shock...Marzocchi and Fox racing have similar choices as well...its not like i can just go out and buy any shock I want to put in there for the length and throw I need....

High tune-   high pressure/  high air volume,
                                      medium volume or
                                       low volume

mid tune-   mid pressure/    high air volume,
                                      medium volume or
                                      low volume

low tune-    low pressure/    high air volume,
                                      medium volume or
                                      low volume
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:02:51 pm by Shaitaan »
my rides:
ProFlex 1994 854 custom
ProFlex 1996 756

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 08:07:22 am »
the sad part is, with all the new high end shocks now, coil or air sprung, you have more than one 'tune' to choose from... even most of the coil shocks now,  it isn't just about buying a new coil to fit the rider...
...the air volume is just what it sounds like...bigger shock can, more air volume, more compression.......for ex.  rockshox monarch RT3 and RT3 plus, or even the Monarch 4.2, you have all these choices for the same length and throw shock...Marzocchi and Fox racing have similar choices as well...its not like i can just go out and buy any shock I want to put in there for the length and throw I need....

High tune-   high pressure/  high air volume,
                                      medium volume or
                                       low volume

mid tune-   mid pressure/    high air volume,
                                      medium volume or
                                      low volume

low tune-    low pressure/    high air volume,
                                      medium volume or
                                      low volume
That is a little too complicated for me. Which is why I like the Swingers. I did find that with a long travel shock you can set more sag. You just get more brake jacking when braking on downhills.

Gotta say I still have my Coil swinger 8." i2i x 2.5" travel that gave me 6.5" travel at the wheel. Mounted it on my Oz before the air versions came out. I honestly could not feel the rear end until I pumped a ton of platform into the piggyback reservoir. I really need a little terrain feedback. All the frame flex that the NR4 transmitted went away with the Swingers.
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Shaitaan

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 10:33:50 am »
true that...I just want to make sure I get the best tune for my applications.. for XC and All Mt.  ...one of my "29er" friends told me the 'tune' is dependant on shock throw vs actual wheel travel ratio....the lower ratio gets the low tune shock, higher of course the high tune... If it wasn't for the factor that I want to keep my 4500 as light as possible and have it 'modernized' with a new air version, I'd still be gunning for a newer coil-over shock.... the worst part is, Ive been to 3 different LBS's, all 3 have their own 'dirt' groups and they all said something different about the tunes lol...Yet, 2 recommended the Rock Shox Monarch, the other said to go with the Marzocchi I was looking at or a Fox RP23...doing further research of the marzocchi roco air's, I'm going to steer away from it for this build...coil version for my 5000 though, that may still happen
my rides:
ProFlex 1994 854 custom
ProFlex 1996 756

glader60

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 09:54:39 am »
Check you PM
I have a "MANITOU SWINGER SPV 3 WAY AIR" that I was going to use on my 4000, but decided to sell the bike so never ended up using it. It's the correct 8.125" x 2" size.
855 cracked frame warranties for 856 frame - Sold
1999 4000