Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 12:37:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 128
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57
57 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: FAO jimbob - rear shock adapter  (Read 2951 times)

02gf74

• Apprentice
FAO jimbob - rear shock adapter
« on: March 30, 2011, 03:54:08 am »
from here

been doing a bit of measuring and made a mock up of a rear adapter to fit a twin eylet Fox Float rear shock to XP-8 frame - picture below.  The final version will be much more sturdy and hopefully have some addition to preven any side to side movement of the lower eylet.

Fox shock chosen as I have one off another bike plus they seem to be quite plentiful and cheap on ebay.

Using 165 mm shiock, the geometry is unaltered, well within 1 mm.

You said you were interested in one - I can get 2 made up at the same time, don't know what it will cost but my guess is £ 30 - I'd be shocked (sic) if it was more than £ 50.  :o

The "kit" consists of two bushes for the top eyelet and the lower bracket.  The bracket will be in 8 mm wall thickness and will have a coninical bottom to locate in the stay - with a flat bottom, the 6 mm bolt would be taking sideway force and that concerns me as it may not be strong enough.

Let me know if interested.

02gf74

• Apprentice
Re: FAO jimbob - rear shock adapter
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 03:59:15 am »
re: shock - the air valvle is on the other side and is accessiible for adding air to the shcok; the damping adjuster is within the frame and is accessible albeit not easily so can be turned using one finger.

there are variants of this shock with what appears to be a lock out lever - I do not think one of those would fit.

also a SID air shock will not fit due to positioning of the air valves.

iseijininc

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:37:07 am »
Nice little mock up, gives me a little ideas to make my own. Just curious but have you tried riding with the mock up and if so how does it ride compared to the elastomer?

jimbob

• Apprentice
  • Proflex Professional
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:23:33 am »
02gf74, been away with work for a few days so no internet ::)   this has moved on faster than I expected, which is excellent news :)

Count me in, I'll try and send you a message on here.
1988 Stumpjumper Team
1992 Kirk Revolution
1993 Orange Prestige
1997 Proflex 857

02gf74

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 02:33:46 am »
re: riding - not yet - the metal used in the mock up was for getting dimensions so is too thin for me to ride.

re: bracket - just bought the alloy off ebay and spoken to my man with the lathe/mill so should be a couple of weeks depending on how busy he is.

fyrstormer

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 09:23:02 am »
Can you invert the shock to make all the controls easily accessible?

jimbob

• Apprentice
  • Proflex Professional
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 09:30:32 am »
good stuff  :)     keep us updated.

re:inverting the shock.... I don't see why not, that was a possible plan for me, I use the Lizard Skins neoprene shock protectors anyway, so I'm not concerned about dirt staying on the seals etc.

no doubt someone will be along to scupper that plan and explain why it is inherently a flawed idea... ::)      :D
1988 Stumpjumper Team
1992 Kirk Revolution
1993 Orange Prestige
1997 Proflex 857

simonlovell99

• Novice
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 09:45:03 am »
I am potentially interested in one for a 98 beast. as i would like to fit a fox vanilla or some other coil shock or i go for a air shock. Not sure what would fit

Thanks

02gf74

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 03:20:34 am »
Can you invert the shock to make all the controls easily accessible?

.... funnily enough as trawing the web and did see the Fox shock mounted upside down - think it was Gary Fisher HiFi bike so it should be doable although it insreases the unsprung weight.

The Fox shock I will use is summetrical about the eyeltes so could be fitted wither way up.

(my chunk of aerospace grade aluminium arrived this morning : ) )

Luke

• Apprentice
  • I washed it recently...I think it was in 2005
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 06:10:03 am »

.... funnily enough as trawing the web and did see the Fox shock mounted upside down - think it was Gary Fisher HiFi bike so it should be doable although it insreases the unsprung weight.

The Fox shock I will use is summetrical about the eyeltes so could be fitted wither way up.

(my chunk of aerospace grade aluminium arrived this morning : ) )
Hang on, which way are you calling "right way up? The fat bit of an air shock is the spring end and contains only air and a shock shaft. The thin bit is where the oil, piston and special adjusting gubbins lives.
So the thin end weighs more than the fat end. It's pretty similar, more metal for the air can versus oil inside.
To configure it like a coiler, you'd have the fat end down. Is that upside down?
Warranty replacements due to cracks detected in time (since 1989):
4x 'Dale M2000
3x 'Dale EST
2x steel stumpjumpers
2x 855
2x 856
2x Scott G-Zero +3x swingarms.
85kgs & I only race XC!

02gf74

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 09:37:02 am »
I am referring to Fox shocks.  Below is one on a Gary Fisher Hifi that I call as being "upside down".

All other fitments of this type of Fox shock have the body on top and the piston shaft below.

i cannot see it makes any difference but I don't know how the damping is done - usually it's is a piston movng in a tube filled with oil - obvously the oil is influeneced by gravity but that cannot be a issue as you would never be able to hold the shock sideways or upside down,