Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 08:47:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 7
Total: 7
7 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: rider position  (Read 1806 times)

Dan B

rider position
« on: March 26, 2004, 06:50:46 pm »
 [smiley=nod.gif]

I need a bit of advice on setting up my bike.

I have an 18" 855 Proflex with Manitou Six Comp 80mm travel forks on the front. (picture under 'Junkster' in gallery), and a Stratos shock on the rear.

I have a stem which is about 100mm in length with a 10-15 degree rise. I also have an uncut alloy riser downhill handlebar and an anatomical saddle which is mounted level, and around halfway on the mount  rails. The seat level is around 3 inches higher than the handlebar level. I have 180mm length cranks.

I weigh 16.12 stone, (238pounds), though am on a diet and hope to get to 15 1/2 stone by May.  [smiley=nod.gif]

I am 6.2ft with 81" inner leg.The seat height allows my legs to just about extend on each stroke of the pedals. I have been cycling on the road to test out my rear shock's stability.

My problem is that I am finding that my grip on the handlebars is coming in at an uncomfortable angle, forcing my wrists out/hands inward, and I am bearing down on them which is very uncomfortable.

I only came out of plaster a month ago after breaking my left wrist around 8 weeks before, (broke my Scaffoid(!) bone), but the discomfort in in both wrists. The rear shock has the same length as the old stiction elastomer shock, so geometry seems ok there. Even if I lock the shock out makin the bike a temp hardtail I still have the same problem.

The handlebars are tilted a little back as I find this is the best angle I can get under the circumstances. Any ideas? How do I rectify it cause my wrists can't take the pounding of offroad with the setup as it is?   [smiley=worry.gif]

Perhaps I need to raise the stem angle to 25-30 degrees, and add a little more length to the stem?

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: rider position
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 12:13:37 am »
Any chance of uploading a pic of you sat on your bike ??? may help in giving us an idea of your problem and to help solve it.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 02:29:57 am »
the bike may be too small. seems you are in a xc race position with the seat 3" above the bars.

try a longer stem and a riser bar and maybe try dropping the saddle a wee bit. another idea is an offset seatpost. (see my gallery, pics of my Oz bike) i use a raceface XY

but the top tube length is shorter in relation to some other bike frames.

i'm 6'1" and the large WC frames are on the small side for me.

[smiley=beer.gif]

« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 02:31:47 am by carbon_angus »

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 02:54:59 am »
many ex road riders (including myself) started out xc and mtbing sitting at or near the end of my leg stroke - and i know many who still are that way.  however, anytime one needs to slip over the back end of a saddle when going down a steep incline - you just can't do it with a saddle that's too high.  not saying that yours is but it sounds like you may need to sit in a more upright position be it lower the seat or raise the bars.

i've learned, as have many others, to lower the seat a bit and ride a little more bent leg so i can push up and over the seat as necessary - a little shorter stem helps me as well - i went to a 90 from my 115.  6" and a 32" inseam.  i was running a 130 mm stem for a while and it helped me stretch out.

your wrist break alone could be the cause of your discomfort and could be a long time b4 you'll feel comfortable.   but, as c.a. has stated, you may need to move the seat back a bit and/or stretch out a bit to take the weight off your hands and more on the seat.  a set back seat post, longer stem with riser may help quite a bit.  

it's very hard to assess an individuals riding style and whats comfortable for them.  if you are anywhere near a bike shop with experienced mechanics / riders, i'd be inclined to head over and have them check out your form and give you their best advice.

from there - you may want to experiment a bit - maybe they'll have a few extra spare parts in the back that they'll let you try out - you might look into some barends to allow for a variety of hand positioning.

i'm 185-190 or so - how many stone is that?

OP
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 12:55:29 am by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 03:03:36 am »
OP 14lbs to a stone, your 13 stone 8lbs ( @ 190lbs )

Simon :-[
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 05:44:44 am »
Its very hard to size someone without asking them what they think during the process. Finding your optimum posistion will be the best thing you ever accomplish for your bike's performance. If you go to these links you will find out how to size yourself on a bike.
I recomend completing this one first. It figures out your bike size according to the info you supply about yourself. It also gives you a good explanation about each measurement and how it is being used.

http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/default.asp
go to the WS measurment page within the site.

I Also recomend this site
http://www.airborne.net/eready/janette/store/sizing.asp
Hit proceed and your golden.

After finding your geometry specs measure your own bike to compare your ideal position with your existing position.

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 11:36:51 am »
Tip the nose of your saddle up-a notch at a time until it feels  uncomfortable, then back one towards your original setting.  This has worked well for me.  And thanks I_2_ionit for those links-I'm just setting up my new ride and they'll come in handy, though I mapped out the setup on my Oz prior to tear down so that I could duplicate what has been a very comfortable ride.
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 12:15:09 pm »
 18" is that a medium? I'd say @ 6"2"  a large frame would be in order. I am 6"4" and tried a large frame - no stem or seat positioning could get the correct feel, it was too small.

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 02:27:32 am »
I love riser bars but with that wrist problem you might be happier with a flatter bar, if you have any other bar & stem combinations you could play around with different types/widths etc. As the pain is in that region that's what I'd try, as well as messin with the seat and seatpost  

tmaybee

• Master
  • Go ride!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 04:08:51 am »
Have a look at this file.  It gives the dimensions for the 855/865/955/657 in their different sizes.

http://idriders.com/proflex/files/856_Geometry2.htm

Trevor   [smiley=beer.gif]