Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 03:48:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 47
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 36
Total: 36
36 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Question about LX cranksets  (Read 1722 times)

Shaggy

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Question about LX cranksets
« on: February 26, 2004, 07:28:57 am »
I'm getting ready to buy a new crankset...I'm thinking about getting an LX, but from the reviews on MTBR, it looks as if the required BB is not what you normally would need.  ie-the bike calls for a 68x113, but the Shimano LX equivalent to get the chainline right is either a 118 or 121.  Anyone know about this?
My other alternative (within budget) is a RaceFace Prodigy XC.  Does anyone use this or have any experience with it?  
TIA,
Josh

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: Question about LX cranksets
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 11:47:03 am »
What bike is this for? Most of the K2/Proflex line use a 73x113. That size applies to Shimano LX cranks too. I've got that exact setup on my 5000 and it works perfectly.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

airman

• Novice
  • Gevelterschmidt Racing Rules!
    • Reality Cheque
LX cranksets
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 11:56:08 am »
My 2001 Razorback took an ES70 73x113 LX Hollowtech for a 47.5mm chain line. Hope that helps

Cheers
[smiley=nod.gif]

GaryF52

• Apprentice
  • It's only a little further to the top.
No wonder some people hate Shimano
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 12:55:40 pm »
Shimano changed the LX crank in 2003.  The 2003 is model number FC-M572 and uses the ES51 BB.  The previous model was FC-M571 and used the ES70 or ES71 BB.  The chain line is different on the newer LX and requires a wider BB.  You'll probably need a 121mm ES-51 if you go with the new LX.  

Another thing about the new LX crank; they use their own special , hollow,  bolts for the crank arms.  Yup... when your done installing the crank you can look right through the hollow BB.  And thats not all...you won't need your 8mm allen wrench to tighten those bolts, now you'll need a 10mm.  What, the multi tool you carry doesn't have a 10mm?   Oh well, maybe next year Shimano will come out with an new "standard".

Shaggy

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 11:00:47 pm »
The crankset/BB is for the new frame (see link for picture) that I bought to replace the one that was stolen (I'm going to rebuild that one soon).  
I got it on ebay for $100...I don't know anything about it, but figured it's just for a second (now third) bike.
From what I had seen at online stores and the MTBR
website, the new LX cranks require the ES-51 BB, the older ES-70 will not work right.  I don't know anything about the new ones (or the old ones for
that matter).
And that's partially my problem with Shimano-they're always changing things as they see fit, but they have the power to do so.  I really want to minimize my use of them, but right now the LX has it b/c of affordability.  
And does anyone know what's going on with Shimano right now?  I ordered a cassette/chain combo from Performance, but they didn't have any in stock.  I called up their CS and the guy told me they wouldn't be getting any in, everything Shimano is basically on backorder.  He said something along the
lines of the company is in a bit of limbo at the moment due to a death of some executive.  
I have a hard time believing that...with the size of Shimano, I would imagine they'd introduce a new executive, then reintroduce a new executive
2 years later to revolutionize the industry.  8 speed was just fine, thank you very much...I liked 7 speed too.  But I digress...
So was guy from CS full of BS??  

http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?photo=Shaggy/Fetish_Frame.JPG

DCepp

• Novice
  • Canigetawitness ?
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 12:07:38 am »
FYI, my 1997 Proflex 957 needs a 68 x 121 ES51 to fit a 2004 LX M572 crankset.

jedoaks

• Apprentice
  • wood is good
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 01:27:45 pm »
See, LX is  so close to XT in weight and durability, that Shimano was loosing XT sales to the more affordable LX. Now, they have made LX less desirable, buy specing a different BB and spline, that is no longer compatible with XT. Rich
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 01:30:08 pm by jedoaks »