Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 04:46:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 128
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61
61 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Rare Team 957 type XL frame  (Read 19107 times)

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
Re: Rare Team 957 type XL frame
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2006, 02:58:21 am »
I hadn't seen the earlier photos on the link, so I was really hoping this was going to be a Fully carbon 957 like the one at the London, BIKE'97 show in the UK

But hey it's still pretty neat!

That Rear Coil's gotta bind before full shock travel is reached surely?

Is it just me or is the seat mast different from production Evo's (and 4000/5000's)??
I think it's got an extra fillet on the top of the mast to the seat tube?
Maybe this was done on Way-Big's? or maybe just this "Team Issue"?

Anyway, great purchase! I think You're outdoing me on what my Wife calls the "Pro~Flex Museum" !!!!

2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2006, 03:12:20 am »
That spring shouldn't bind before full stroke is reached,

because if it does then thats plain dangerous and ain't
right.

I'd like to think thats a short stroke shock,
its what I'd expect from a team (race bike),
but hey it
was rumored the team bikes with elastomer shocks
had Ti rods through the middle to stop the suspension working
but gave the public the impression the team riders
used F/S bikes.

Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2006, 04:20:02 am »
That rumour is plausible Simon. I remember the rhetoric in that era. Suspension back then was a buzz word travel for the most part was suppressed for fear of public or media scrutiny. A company would have been called crazy to build 4 to 5" travel bike. The pressure to push limits is just to risky in business in general. The only ones at the time who believed it was possible where the engineers. But they don't really have a say in things.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2006, 09:20:23 am »
i saw and touched Hank Djernis bike (sp)and spoke to some of the proflex guys when the world cup was in Cairns,Australia many moons ago.The elastomers hardly moved,they gave me a couple to try on the rear,they hardly moved even tho i was somewhat heavier than hank.The fork seemed nice tho.I think they were "x55/x56" bikes
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 09:21:33 am by kiwi »
kiwi proflex rider

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2006, 09:35:05 am »
I saw Hank and the rest of the Proflex team race,
no way was that suspension moving,
there I was with my pride and joy a new 856
and out there was Hank racing one but at least my
suspension moved [smiley=laughing.gif]

Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2006, 11:44:03 am »
Hank? Maybe you guys mean Henrik?

Or is Hank like an "American slang"?

Anyways, still a cool ride.

Wow, if I didn't know any better i'd almost think there's a revolution starting with these! :o

[smiley=laughing.gif]
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2006, 01:04:39 pm »
Simon...I think it's 2 inches excluding the red rubber bumper...stroke would be the length the shaft can compress into the shock???  The upper retainer ring is wound all the way down on this "wee" ti spring.

The guy I bought it from said they ran these VERY stiff as in almost as rigid as they could get....He did give me a "regular" ti spring, too.

Also this frame was custom built for Beat Wabel who rode for Pro~Flex, then Cannondale..it isn't just a WayBig....  Um, I measured the top tube...middle of seatpost to middle of crown (straight line and have a whopping 24 inches). so I guess it's a Way, WayBig?  [smiley=laughing.gif]

I won't be able to get to other things 'till Wednesday, so be patient....First thing I want to do is see how the shocks are and also the different cone/bevel shape of the the rear shock into the strut.

Also the guy I bought it from is going through his garage for anything Pro~Flex...for me to have first crack at.  Whoopee!

[smiley=beer.gif]

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2006, 05:41:14 am »
Thanks for that CarbonAngus,yep thats the stroke,

its certainly turning out to be a very very interesting bike,

Simon.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2006, 11:54:14 am »
The guy I bought it from said they ran these VERY stiff as in almost as rigid as they could get....He did give me a "regular" ti spring, too.

Also this frame was custom built for Beat Wabel who rode for Pro~Flex, then Cannondale..it isn't just a WayBig....  Um, I measured the top tube...middle of seatpost to middle of crown (straight line and have a whopping 24 inches). so I guess it's a Way, WayBig?  [smiley=laughing.gif]

Ugh. Why would anybody want a full-suspension bike that stiff?! Thank goodness we know what to do about that!

As for the size, 24" sounds just right for a Way Big. The way you measured it, my medium 5000 is 22" and my large 5000 is 23", so the logical TT length for WB would be 24". I have a hardtail single speed with a 24" top tube. It's too big for me at 5'11", but it's my city bike so it's fine. It's actually a great length for going fast - very stable, but I prefer the control that a shorter top-tube gives me. I guess I'm not much of a speed demon. (At least not since I moved from Utah to the "non-mountains" of New York!)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2006, 07:19:08 pm »
dont forget these guys move pretty fast and most xc courses arent that techy.....ride quality isnt high on their wish list,max traction with minimum bob,with some shock absorption is the goal i would think
kiwi proflex rider

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2006, 02:17:56 am »
Yeah, I guess I was thinking in terms of modern suspension designs. However, even with older suspension designs I think that having a shock that stiff was more of a psychological advantage than a real one. Suspension just "felt" less efficient, but in reality, I don't think it was. Plus, when your shock is that stiff, you lose both "dig-in" and traction because you still bounce like you would with a hardtail...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2006, 02:28:55 am »
The proflex team rode suspenders because thats what the company built and were devoted to, even if thier own top riders were not convince of the benefit.

I am sure that there was still a great hardtail logic back then. The notion was I think was to make the rear as rigid as possible to rule out power loss. A misnomer I believe.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2006, 03:41:56 am »
I remember Giant did a study on their riding team when the NRS came out. (Perhaps not a perfect comparison since that design has no negative travel, but a full susser, nonetheless). If I recall correctly, their tests showed that while the overall times were very similar, the effort (based on heart rate) was about 10% less with the suspension bikes. So even though the riders universally agreed that they THOUGHT they were going much slower, they were actually going just as fast and working less. Sounds like my kind of thing... :)

I think we're all used to the feeling of full suspension by now. (Plus, just prior to that era, URT designs were all the rage - and those DID suck a lot of energy. Now that we have shocks that eliminate pedal bob though, URT may make a come-back).

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2006, 05:30:43 am »
I remember Giant did a study on their riding team when the NRS came out. (Perhaps not a perfect comparison since that design has no negative travel, but a full susser, nonetheless). If I recall correctly, their tests showed that while the overall times were very similar, the effort (based on heart rate) was about 10% less with the suspension bikes. So even though the riders universally agreed that they THOUGHT they were going much slower, they were actually going just as fast and working less. Sounds like my kind of thing... :)

I think we're all used to the feeling of full suspension by now. (Plus, just prior to that era, URT designs were all the rage - and those DID suck a lot of energy. Now that we have shocks that eliminate pedal bob though, URT may make a come-back).

doesn't Giant have a whole new bike coming out ???

Pro~Flex did a similar study as well as Ellsworth (currently with their Truth frame). Back then....hardtails were still ruling the roost. Oh and mentions of endo's with the cross-links. The team mechanic says it would happen to the pros at times too.  [smiley=laughing.gif]

[smiley=beer.gif]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 05:31:46 am by carbon_angus »

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2006, 01:39:02 pm »
I got the shocks off today and am sending out to get recharged.  The rear is an NR-1 as best I can sumize and the front is an NR-2.  I thought for a momnent to put a risse on the rear but the bike will only see pavement, maybe some light XC. One thing for sure Ti springs are sure light!  It Might have Ti bolts, too as they are different than on my 857.

[smiley=beer.gif]