Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 05:40:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 128
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 62
Total: 62
62 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: I need help with shock settings  (Read 3106 times)

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
I need help with shock settings
« on: May 21, 2006, 05:49:00 pm »
Hey guys,

Well the "Carbon Wonder", as one of the guys in my college's bike club has come to call it, entered it's first race today.  I entered novice because I haven't raced or ridden any amount since the '02 season.  I am 30-40 lbs (220lbs @ 6'2") over weight and from the few Mt. rides I've managed to put in my techniques is all but non-existant.  I DNF'd today due to a flat, but any way.  I have a problem with the fork set up.  For those of you who don't remember me I have a 5500 with the carbon cross link.  I had adapters made and have Fox Float RL AVAs on both ends.  (I got stopped sooo many times today!  really cool)  Now, when I go over drops, such as going over logs or rocks that have an oh so slight depression after them I can almost guarantee I'm going over the bars.  The fork compresses, the front wheel stops moving, and over I go.  In the race today there was just such a drop, and off the trail I went.  I watched another halfdozen people go over the same obsticle with no problems.  I suspect my brakes are activating as the fork compresses helping things in the wrong way, but I do not believe it to me the major cause.  I have been setting the front shock to 50psi for 8mm of sag until I realized I needed 10mm of sag and have guessed at 45psi in the mean time.  I have the rebound at 9 clicks from fully stiff, and may add few clicks more.  But I have the AVA (which makes the air spring progressive) set at full linear.  Were the springs that came on original Noleens progressive rate springs?  I'm thinking that's what I'll try next.  I know much of it is learning to ride the bike, and it is different than my old '98 2000.  Does anyone know why I am having such a problem with nose first drops, and what I can do (sus or technique adjustments) to over come it.  I was in a real good spot in the race today and if I hadn't biffed I would have done much better I believe, minus the flat of course.  

Thanks,

Rich
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: I need help with shock settings
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 03:59:00 am »
Sounds like the J path blues.

But anyway, is it possible that with your new shock, it has more travel and the tire is contacting something when bottoming out, and J path is at it's worst? Couple that with more rear end jacking and you better wear your Superman outfit.

Just a note, I never liked my carbon crosslink until I blew the seal and lost the oil. Then the thing was smooth as silk. Man is that fork fast and forgiving. I am having the Risse shock tuned as fast as possible just like it.

Anyway, I would pull the spring off your shock and stroke it to see if the tire hits anything. What is the stroke length on those shocks?

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 05:39:22 am »
J-path blues was what I was afraid of.  But I never really had a problem this bad with the stock shocks, or my old EXPs.  I guess the question is, how do I compesate with technique?  Although I was talking to others and they have had simular experiences with telo forks.

They are air shocks (hense the psi settings).  And it is a magic carpet ride with the new shocks on.  I have 50.8mm (or 2") of shock travel.  Which, according to the formulas on this board gets me about .75" extra in the rear, but only 4mm in the front.

I am riding up here in Maine, and the riding is really technical.  Very rooty and rocky.  
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 07:48:03 am »
Well, I would still let the air out and cycle the shock to see if it hits anything. The added travel in the rear could be raising the rear and compounding the launch. Put the old shock on the rear and see what you feel.

I had the same problem with my crosslink feeling like it wanted to pitch me over the bars. After considerable contemplation, I decided to invert the fork legs to gain rake and lenthen the wheelbase. The slight change made a big difference in feel. It corners better without giving me that knifing. It is smoother in that it feels like it has more travel, if only slightly.

Or, I could just be delusional. [smiley=nod.gif] [smiley=diaper.gif]

I gotta tell ya, I really pounded my carbon crosslinks. I can just throw the front end into ruts and ditches and have the front just spring out, mostly due to the leg flexing enough to allow it.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 01:54:18 pm »
I am riding up here in Maine, and the riding is really technical.  Very rooty and rocky.  

I wouldn't ride technical New England trails with ANY 3" (or less in the case of the X-links) fork. You will go over the bars much more often than you would with a 4" or taller fork. Guaranteed. 3" forks are much better suited for true XC type rides (like races on a golf course).
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 05:35:02 pm »
Ok.  Does anyone know if the stock front spring was a progressive rate spring?  I had one guy who was much lighter than me ride the bike and he didn't have any problems with the front fork.  He did mention how quick the handling was, and that he felt I didn't have enough rebound on the back.  I suspect much of that was due to there being way too much air in the shocks for his weight.  I'm gonna try first doing what shovelon suggested and check to see if anything is rubbing.  Then I'm going to play with the AVA on my shock.  And may be some rebound adjustments.  But mostly I have to work on technique.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 04:02:31 am »
i have had problems with x~links and what you are describing.

improving your technique will help some...like staying back of the saddle and not putting any more weight on the forks than necessary to keep the bike going where you want to go. also you haven't been on it or racing for a few years....

gotta tell you though..the mechanic that I bought my Pro~Flex race bike from said that the team pros had the same problems with endo-ing and the x~link.

[smiley=beer.gif]

« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 04:03:11 am by carbon_angus »