Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 07:13:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 56
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 45
Total: 45
45 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 5500c disc upgrade progress report... :)  (Read 6936 times)

asylum_inc

• Novice
  • Ummm.....Carbon Fiber
    • My Website
Re: 5500c disc upgrade progress report... :)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 02:06:31 pm »
KIWI - I checked the seatpost vs. travel a while ago - I don't like those kind of surprises on a ride :)

IMO - The eye to eye is around 212mm travel is 54-55mm

Thanks for the compliments everyone :)
2007 Bike Nashbar 853
1998 K2 5500c
Disc conversion complete (thanks to Matno) :)
My Gallery

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 04:44:51 pm »
Sorry everyone, I started a reply several days ago, then never finished it! Wish I had more of those adaptors, but it was actually Dominic (who used to post here - the guy whose beautiful homemade Oz is in Simon's contribution to this thread) who made the carbon adaptor. He offered to send them to forum members a few months back (I think he had made a small batch), and I couldn't resist asking for one. Decided I'm never going to get around to putting it on my bike, so I sent it to Asylum...

Matno
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

ghaun

• Novice
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 04:11:56 pm »
Hello,

I recently joined this forum and found this article.  I have an Oz and a 4500c.  I was wondering if these adapters can be had anywhere.

Thanks,

Gregory

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 04:46:24 pm »
Hello,

I recently joined this forum and found this article.  I have an Oz and a 4500c.  I was wondering if these adapters can be had anywhere.

Thanks,

Gregory

I think A2Z makes universal adapters. Otherwise people a making thier own. That carbon one is super sweet. If I could source the material and get a patern, I would see about waterjeting some.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Hammer

• Apprentice
  • Take it Easy
    • HammerHead
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 03:46:16 pm »
It's been a while but Hammer is back in the confession box here at iriders!

I have been getting quite a few requests for adapters recently and have been emptying the boxes here trying to keep everyones bikes up to date and disc braked up...

So even though I will probably never sell them all, (and make a loss) I am willing to make a few batch's of adapters as a thank-you to all you faithful and wonderful people who love thier Pro~Flex bikes as much as I love mine.

The order will go in directly after the easter break (2008) and should be ready for shipment within 14 days.

Drop me an email stating what you need and don't forget your postal address so I can send you a kit in exchange for a few euro dollars.....

Take it easy,

Hammer.

ps.. I have some carbon fibre adapters knocking around here in the "test only" boxes, but the waterjet cutting made a pretty big mess of the holes, so I didn't dare test them!  I did make a UniVersal HammerHead (UVHH) in carbon fibre which was fitted to my singlespeed for the 2001 world championships, it is still going strong and is still my "most used" bike.... the carbon adapter plate flexes quite a lot, but is still there!  The only negative thing I have noticed during the 7 years of useage is that the carbon fibre adapter plate gets through brake pads quicker....!  Probably a combination of reduced thermal transistion of braking forces (increased heat in the pads) and flex in the adapter plate.
Maybe somebody has a stiffer carbon material available now than was supplied to me in Y2K by swedens leading composite supplier... 8 years is a long long time in R&D...

So I am currently not totally convinced that brake adapters based on the HammerHead design are a good use for carbon fibre!  All HammerHeads are made of high grade aerospace alloy and have stood the test of time.
I did make some in Ti but found that the calliper gets around 10% hotter, so I will stick to using the tried and tested material for this latest and possibly last ever batch.

www.racing-green.com      you'll find my email address there, or hit the link under my avatar...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 03:48:26 pm by Hammer »

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 01:12:38 am »
that deserves a hit of karma mike!....I will prolly never get round to it but did you ever do an x56 adapter??
kiwi proflex rider

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 08:34:01 am »
I agree, KARMA.

That was a great eye opener Hammer. Thermal transition from the pads. Dang, I never thought of that. So really the best material would be alum welded to an alum frame. Beyond that, alum with lots of surface area bolted to the dropout.

The increase in pad wear you describe with carbon adapter could be a combination of heat and vibration?

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

IMO

• Apprentice
  • if it aint broke.- you aint tryin
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 11:49:22 am »
Really the best material would be Alu and silver. Unfortunatly the price of silver is rather high, but the thermal conductivity of silver is very high.

I would be interested in a Disc brake adapter for the OZ. How much , roughly £££ ??

Interesting point on heat dissapation,on a car the disc works as a heat sink, but the MB discs are  minimal in weight and construction, do the heat has to go somewhere
The downside of every climb is in the upside

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 08:43:54 am »
Really the best material would be Alu and silver. Unfortunatly the price of silver is rather high, but the thermal conductivity of silver is very high.

I would be interested in a Disc brake adapter for the OZ. How much , roughly £££ ??

Interesting point on heat dissapation,on a car the disc works as a heat sink, but the MB discs are  minimal in weight and construction, do the heat has to go somewhere

Hmmm, yes I think thermal transmission is the issue. On a carbon swing arm bike, I think you don't want to conduct heat into the dropout, because if that heats up too much then a melted thermoplastic swing arm could be the result, or at the least the epoxy join could fail......?
IMHO I believe that the material to use would be low thermally conductive and leave the brake unit and disk to dissipate the heat.

I'm on the list for disk adaptors with Mike and can't wait to start the Oz/Maverick build that I have planned..........

Col.
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008, 09:40:28 am »
I've successfully welded disc adaptors to carbon swingarm dropouts,this is onto the top edge not against the side of the dropout  ;D

I'll see if I can find a pic

Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 09:52:07 am »
Here's the starting point kit supplied by Hope
(this was something I did for ProflexGB for his evo and his Oz)
sorry about the picture sizing but I've just copied these from his gallery,just scroll across using the bar at the bottom to see the full pic's or checkout his gallery.
Simon.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 09:56:35 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

iliv2k2

• Novice
  • K2 4000 '99, K2 Snowboard, K2 Ascent Inline Skates
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2008, 03:57:03 pm »
Add me to the list of adapter buyers. I need to build up my 5500c frame soon. Doesn't do much good collecting dust.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 08:57:34 am »
I've successfully welded disc adaptors to carbon swingarm dropouts,this is onto the top edge not against the side of the dropout  ;D

Simon.

:o :o :o

Now that is magic. You did not have to rebond the insert? That must have been some cold welding. No problems so far? Did you use chill plates?

Good show,
Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 10:54:04 am »

Simon.

:o :o :o

Now that is magic. You did not have to rebond the insert? That must have been some cold welding. No problems so far? Did you use chill plates?

Good show,
Terry

Hi Terry
I can't take the credit for the welding part  ;),
I basically modified the adaptors to the correct shape and jigged it them up into the correct position 8).
A friend welded them on an as far as I know he kept the carbon part of the swingarm cool whilst welding.

ProflexGB had 3 done, the close up one shown isn't one of the ones I had done and he wasn't to pleased with
the standard of weld so asked me if I could get a couple of others done,shame I haven't a pic of the ones I had done
they had a lovely weld  8).
As far as I know they're still running fine, ProflexGB went to work in Greece and I haven't heard from him for a while.

Simon.

mightyDOB

• Novice
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 01:41:18 pm »
I can help with this as I have one of ProflexGB's welded swingarms, as he gave me his 4000 before heading off to Greece.

By a strange coincidence have only just used the welded disc adapters as I rebuilt it this weekend with new kit.  I must admit I have had some problems with the LX brakes I put on not lining up correctly on the welded adapter and got around it temporarily by adding a washer between the adapter and the disc mounting bracket but it still rubs the rotor a bit.  I need to have a closer look at it as I might be able to adjust the brakes in some way, but to me it looked like the adapter might be off slightly, but this is my first experience with disc brakes so I may be wrong.  The swingarm ProflexGB gave to me had never been used but I know he had no problems with the ones on his OZ's, that is until he moved as I have lost touch with him too :(

Your right Simon the weld is lovely I will try and take a picture tonight and post it up