Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 08:57:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8
8 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Delaminate  (Read 3122 times)

Jcshinkle

• Novice
Delaminate
« on: April 01, 2014, 08:25:11 pm »
I currently own a 5500. A way big 4000, and an 856 and 4000 frame, but am also looking at getting a 4500. The only issue is that it looks delaminated in the photos. How bad is that? I know that they overbuilt these frames and that the 2 halves are bonded together thermoplastic, so how much difference does the carbon make? Im going to look at it Friday and will let you know. Thanks.

Spokes

• Guru
Re: Delaminate
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:27:52 pm »
That sounds dodgy but could be nothing. Exactly where is it delaminating? These frames can suffer from discolouration if stored under the wrong conditions. The carbon seems to turn a white colour. One of mine looks like it has left with one side facing the sun which has sort of bleached it a little. I've also seen it around the bottom bracket, maybe from water? But the structure is still sound.
My one frame did have a slight amount of delaminating where the joins are at the front of the head stock and the rear of the seat tube. Only very slight as if the outside layer of 0.5mm ? thermoplastic had stated to peal. It probably would have been fine but I have the repair kit so I fixed it. It was only slight so I rebonded both joins with epoxy resin.
The frames are pressed together from three peices, two sides and the middle 'back bone'. They're very strong.
I've only ever heard of one breaking and that was because it was ridden downhill fast into a tree! Justified I think..
See how bad it is and show us some photos.
Good luck

Chris
856's
OZx modern build
no room in big shed but always room for one more!