Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 08:34:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 24
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11
11 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Winter tyre vote  (Read 7841 times)

beeeerock

• Apprentice
Re: Winter tyre vote
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 11:15:38 am »
When I think winter, unfortunately I don't think wet, I think FREEZING COLD. 5°F (-15°C) for a low tonight, and 18°F (-8°C) for a high tomorrow. I wish I lived in Arizona.  :'(
Yes, that's what we expect as well in central British Columbia.  It's been hanging between -8 and -12 C for the last week or so.  Combined with a 'semi-arid' climate, the only time we really see 'mud' of any significance is in the spring when the snow melts and the frost comes out of the ground.  Then we have a few inches of goo for a week or two.  The few summer rains we get dry up quickly.

The population in my neighbourhood declines over the winter as the retired demographic migrates to Arizona for a few months.  I admit to feeling some envy.  But we generally save our vacation days and try to get a few weeks on Maui to break up the winter!

You must be stateside if you're working in Fahrenheit?
Nothing is foolproof for a sufficiently talented fool.

beeeerock

• Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 11:19:17 am »
Yes I'm aiming at the typical UK winter which is like I say wet, muddy and slippery. It always rains in UK and is quite often wet more than it is dry.................
I feel I must point out that Chris (Spokes) lives in Wales; this is a small Principality within England that is infamous for the fact that it rains nearly all of the time.........and when it's not raining, the sea spray comes in horizontally.......................oh yeah, and it's also famous for sheep and wellies..................I will now get even more of a boxing around the ears <GRIN> :P
Probably better that I don't speculate how the sheep got into this discussion...  8)

Spokes

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 02:09:15 pm »
Yes I'm aiming at the typical UK winter which is like I say wet, muddy and slippery. It always rains in UK and is quite often wet more than it is dry.................

I feel I must point out that Chris (Spokes) lives in Wales; this is a small Principality within England that is infamous for the fact that it rains nearly all of the time.........and when it's not raining, the sea spray comes in horizontally.......................oh yeah, and it's also famous for sheep and wellies..................I will now get even more of a boxing around the ears <GRIN> :P

Col.

Ok ok time to set the records straight. Ehem..
It's a little known fact that long ago when Cymru was an independent country it was sunny all the time. Welsh people rode through the hills happily on their medieval mountain bikes. Tyres were never a problem. Then the English invaded and dark clouds hunge over re-named Wales. Global warming started due to the huge amount of hot air the average English man blows out of his arse. The sunshine soon turned to rain and the mud began to flow. Since then Welsh mountain bikers have searched for the perfect winter mud tyre. Something that will hold fast in the wet and cut through the English poo that sticks to the green green grass of the Welsh countryside. I still continue to search....
As for the sheep. English people love to eat lamb so the Welsh though it only fair that they should season it first...

Chris  ;D ;D
856's
OZx modern build
no room in big shed but always room for one more!

BikerTrash

• Novice
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 05:56:45 pm »
When I think winter, unfortunately I don't think wet, I think FREEZING COLD. 5°F (-15°C) for a low tonight, and 18°F (-8°C) for a high tomorrow. I wish I lived in Arizona.  :'(
Yes, that's what we expect as well in central British Columbia.  It's been hanging between -8 and -12 C for the last week or so.  Combined with a 'semi-arid' climate, the only time we really see 'mud' of any significance is in the spring when the snow melts and the frost comes out of the ground.  Then we have a few inches of goo for a week or two.  The few summer rains we get dry up quickly.

The population in my neighbourhood declines over the winter as the retired demographic migrates to Arizona for a few months.  I admit to feeling some envy.  But we generally save our vacation days and try to get a few weeks on Maui to break up the winter!

You must be stateside if you're working in Fahrenheit?
Yup, right in the middle of the USA, in Iowa. Last winter we had an unusually cold winter with numerous -15°F days.

beeeerock

• Apprentice
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 09:54:51 am »
Ok ok time to set the records straight. Ehem..
It's a little known fact that long ago when Cymru was an independent country it was sunny all the time. Welsh people rode through the hills happily on their medieval mountain bikes. Tyres were never a problem. Then the English invaded and dark clouds hunge over re-named Wales. Global warming started due to the huge amount of hot air the average English man blows out of his arse. The sunshine soon turned to rain and the mud began to flow. Since then Welsh mountain bikers have searched for the perfect winter mud tyre. Something that will hold fast in the wet and cut through the English poo that sticks to the green green grass of the Welsh countryside. I still continue to search....
As for the sheep. English people love to eat lamb so the Welsh though it only fair that they should season it first...

Chris  ;D ;D
Ah, Chris, that's an award-winning response!  Not sure what award, but worthy of something I'm sure...

Cymru is the country you get to through the back of the wardrobe, right?  With an ice queen or white witch, a talking lion etc?  I'm pretty sure I saw it on a documentary DVD my daughter was watching a few years ago.  I don't recall noting much mud... in fact, it seemed pretty cold, but likely that was due to the presence of that nasty witch.  She must be English?

Wait.... I might have my wires crossed... maybe I'm thinking of the land of Narnia... now I'm not sure...  8)

Spokes

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 02:20:19 pm »
To be fair Narnia and Wales are pretty much the same! Lol  ;D

Chris
856's
OZx modern build
no room in big shed but always room for one more!