Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:59:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 95
Total: 95
95 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Rear air shock on x57 style strut bike  (Read 3629 times)

w2zero

• Master
Re: Rear air shock on x57 style strut bike
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 01:58:01 pm »
Great video.  Obviously if you are running a Magura air shock you won't fall in puddles.... ;D  

Trucks that are bagged ride pretty darn nice and we made very sure that the rigs transporting our more tender constructions were air ride.  Good point though that the air could heat up and expand a bunch but nitrogen would solve that just like it does in airbag automotive suspensions.  

The ebay prices are tempting but adapting it blows that out of the water.  Just saw off that lower eye and mount directly to the strut then machine an upper eye long enough to mount in the frame..
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 05:31:02 pm by w2zero »
856 Beast 1
856 Beast 2
856 Animal (small)
856 frame set
Bianchi 748 fix
Hiep Duc 69
Pro Patria

whisperdancer

• Master
  • Unusual 957...
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 04:47:17 pm »
I think I will go another way.

I've also been looking to the DT Swiss shocks. It seems they provide good clearance from the frame in the upper zone and valve acess is not bad.
I will draw one at scale and try in the frame.
Proflex '97 Animal with Carbon Swingarm & Crosslink Carbon fork
K2 1000 frame, Carbon Swingarm,Crosslink Carbon CS being worked to be a 957
Yeti ASR 5

fyrstormer

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 10:00:56 am »
Great video.  Obviously if you are running a Magura air shock you won't fall in puddles.... ;D
Heh, I didn't even watch that video all the way through until now. I would be fascinated to know how a stictionless rear shock with no damping to speak of would be less likely to catapult the rider over the handlebars, but I guess that's why nobody ever offered me a job in marketing.

Trucks that are bagged ride pretty darn nice and we made very sure that the rigs transporting our more tender constructions were air ride.  Good point though that the air could heat up and expand a bunch but nitrogen would solve that just like it does in airbag automotive suspensions.
Airbag shocks have ONE benefit in terms of ride quality, compared to coil-spring shocks or sliding-air-chamber shocks: the air inside the airbag can absorb tiny high-frequency vibrations that coil springs won't absorb, and the lack of sliding seals means those high-frequency vibrations can't be transmitted around the outer shell of the shock either. Getting rid of those high-frequency vibrations makes the ride feel much smoother, yes, but that's only because humans, being mostly liquid, are sensitive to high-frequency vibrations. Most solid objects are unaffected by high-frequency vibrations unless they happen to match the object's resonant frequency. That last scenario is always possible, but rather unlikely.

Anyway, cars with airbag shocks still have oil dampers to control rebound, as do some trucks; those trucks that don't have oil dampers usually are so heavy that a simple pothole isn't enough to cause significant movement of the truck bed anyway.