Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:09:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 9
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10
10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: just installed Helix Expert, need help  (Read 3163 times)

chainsaw

• Apprentice
  • 5500, 5000, Rans Recumbent, Raleigh SuperCourse
    • My FJ60 Land Cruiser
just installed Helix Expert, need help
« on: February 28, 2003, 05:59:34 am »
Hi, Just got my Stratos Helix Expert for my K2 5000 with a 700lb. spring for my 210lb body. just put it on and have a few questions/observations.

1. it would only go in upside down

2. it was perfect size 8.25in eye to eye

3. it is very good looking piece of hardware, much better than the photos in the website.

4. the manual is VERY lacking in installation help. needs more photos/illustrations

5. I could have installed it with the either the hot pink rebounder adjuster facing to the rear, which allows easy access to it, OR, I could have mounted it with the air valve facing the rear, which would allow easy access to it. I decided to mount it with the rebound adjuster facing the rear. I would have to remove it to add any air to it via the air valve.

6. how tight should I torque down the top and bottom bolts that hold it to the frame?

sure looks good on the bike. I will be going to a TIMBRA event this weekend at Bar H to try  it out. still need to learn how to adjust it and tweak it
-'98 Proflex K2 5500 Marzocchi forks, Stratos Expert shock, Thomson seatpost,  XTR shifters, XT rapid rise, XTR front der., Hope XC hubs, Mavic UST 819, Wierwolf tubless tires, XT crank, Avid Mechs

GaryF52

• Apprentice
  • It's only a little further to the top.
Re: just installed Helix Expert, need help
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 06:13:43 am »
Chainsaw,
I've got the same shock on my bike.  Also had to install it upside down.  I believe you can remove the shock, loosen the spring and simply rotate one end so that both the air and rebound face the same way.  I don't know the torque specs for the shock bolts.  I just make sure that they are snug and the shock doesn't bind as it moves.  
Interesting that yours has a 700lb. spring.  I weigh 163lb. and my shock has a 300lb spring.  Go figure.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Clarification...
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 06:17:06 am »
1) According to Stratos, there is no "upside down" on these shocks. Mounting them either way is fine.

2) Nice.

3) Amen

4) Agreed. Their website's tech section could use some work too.

5)Personally, I'd switch it around. You can still turn the rebound knob (although if you're like me, you'll just set it and leave it) even though it is a little harder to see. With the Helix Pro, you don't really have the option - it only fits with the rebound knob down. Not that you'll need access to the air very often, but why set it up so that you have to take the whole thing off just to change the air spring if you don't have to?

6) I believe the recommended torque for shock bolts is 150 ft/lbs. I just tighten mine really tight by hand (tight enough that it leaves an impression on my palm but not so tight that it makes me sweat - how's that for technical?)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Irby

• Apprentice
  • live to ride ride to live....(old dirtbike mantra)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 07:07:07 am »
Regarding torque specs and aluminum....The listed torque specs are generally MAXIMUMS. If you check your fasteners regularly, you don't need to crank them to the max.  I think 150 in-lbs on a smallish shock bolt is outrageously tight. You really run the risk of damaging the Al threading. On the other hand, fasteners coming loose on a bicycle can be a big liability for manufacturers when riders bicycles come apart and they fall down.   Best bet, use some blue locktite and a small hex wrench. Obviously one needs to be VERY careful regarding bolts that your life depends on (eg stem caps). My 2 cents, Dan

chainsaw

• Apprentice
  • 5500, 5000, Rans Recumbent, Raleigh SuperCourse
    • My FJ60 Land Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2003, 07:25:05 am »
just wrestled the newly installed shock off (bugger was a lot tougher taking off than puttin on) and rotated the air valve. Now both the valve and the rebound adjuster have easy access. I agree Matno, do it right at the beginning. so I did it. sure looks good on my bike. now I have to teach myself how to set it up with the adjustments.
-'98 Proflex K2 5500 Marzocchi forks, Stratos Expert shock, Thomson seatpost,  XTR shifters, XT rapid rise, XTR front der., Hope XC hubs, Mavic UST 819, Wierwolf tubless tires, XT crank, Avid Mechs

slowride

• Journeyman
  • Mmmmm... dirt!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2003, 12:10:07 pm »
150 in/lbs seems pretty tight to me too, but that's what the 1999 owner's manual says. It also says to use blue Loctite.

I've noticed that K2 has put up more tech info than before (or mabe I just never looked before) but I found the owner's manual here:

http://www.k2bike.com/tech_library/owners_manuals.asp

This was good news for me, since I never had the owner's manual that came with my frame from eDiscount.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2003, 02:55:09 pm »
Actually you will find them right here too!
was called the tech archive on the old site now called How Tos ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2003, 02:57:09 pm by kiwi »
kiwi proflex rider