Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 06:16:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10
10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: New EVO 4.0 Owner,got some questions, need help...  (Read 3458 times)

Vitaliy

• Apprentice
New EVO 4.0 Owner,got some questions, need help...
« on: February 24, 2003, 05:10:19 pm »
Hello, I just purchased '00 EVO 4.0 frame and have couple questions:

1.Does anyone know how to polish carbonfiber, what to use to make it smooth and shiny.

2. Is it normal for Carbonfiber swingarm to have some inperfections,( like little groves or pits, about 3-6mm in length and 1mm wide and .5mm - 1mm, also in area by the crank its got milky white coloring especialy in that curve by crank, there also something simular on other side. Is it normal?
The frame was used couple times, and in good condition, i dont know maybe my expectation is to high, after seeing nice laid carbon fiber hoods, and roller blades frames, maybe swing arms made litlle differently?

3. My other question about K2 waranty, I heard all frames and swingarms guaranteed for 5 years and shock for 1 year, I have recipt for that frame from Supergo, it's been purchased 09/21/02, I got it from the original owner. In case my swingarm got the crack, what should I do? (I asked K2bikes.com if they selling any ALU or carbon swingarms for EVO bikes, or any adaptors for disk brakes, they said that they don't have them any more,and there is no disk adaptors even though their website shows all the parts and rear IS disk adaptor with part numbers and so on) so my question is:
-If they don't have no more parts what whoud they do in case of waranty claim, how they going to replace the frame or swingarm, if they don't have it?

Maybe some of you guys, have expirience dealing with K2, please let me know.

4. My last question would be this:
the diameter for seapost on that frame is 27.2, i have the seatpost that is 26.8, do i need any kind of shim for that or i can use it as is? I tried to get it from my local shop, but no luck they don'k have any shims 27.2 to 26.8. Should I just use some thin sheet metal instead of shim?

Thank you very much to all of you who'll help me, and all others.

Regards,

Vitaliy.

P.S. by the way here is the pictures of the frame:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2003, 05:18:11 pm by Vitaliy »
'00 K2 EVO 4.0

IFO

• Journeyman
  • Is A-line open yet?
Re: New EVO 4.0 Owner,got some questions, need hel
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2003, 05:27:32 pm »
get a 27.2 seatpost....

you'll cause frame damage by using a undersized seatpost such as your 26.8.....

the Carbon fiber does routinely have some visual imperfections.. dont worry about it...

both ends of your bike are QUALITY Easton parts...if u dont ride that bike like a HUCK0monster it'll give u years of good service...

my 98 4000 (very much teh same frame) is still going strong, after more then a few years of near constant riding....

for a rear Disc adaptor u need to get a hammerhead...
very slick system adn priced accordingly... :P

enjoy the bike, and take some pics of it built up...

oh and u can make the carbon fiber shiny for a little while by using Armor-all on it... :o

good luck...
if i cry a tear everyday till A-line re-opens i'll have a lake in my house...8-(

Andy

• Novice
    • My K2
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2003, 10:51:50 pm »
Hey Vitaliy,

Very nice! I always like that color scheme.

My carbon swingarm looked a little dull when I bought mine (2nd hand), so I used some aluminum polish (you can use any polish with a little abrasive, such as scratch remover, or even certain kitchen cleansers) then I used some car wax and buffed it to a nice shine. Be carefull with any abrasive since it will remove the decals and the white Easton logo.

As far as your warranty goes, I'm sure that K2 must have a few spares laying around for warranty replacement that they won't offer for sale. However, I think you would really have to kill it to break anything, in which case k2 probably wouldn't cover such abuse.

I have to agree with IFO that you should buy a 27.2 seatpost. While you could use some sheet metal to shim it, you run the risk of damaging the frame. Since a cheapo seat post can be had for $10- $20 why risk it.

I highly recommend discs, however K2 never made an adapter specificly for the carbon swing arm, they were intended for the K2 2000's and other alum swingarm models. I made my own adapter, but it's a pain in the A$$, so if you can buy the kit from Hammer, it looks like a great product.

one question for you; where are you located?

if you ever get up to Pennsylvania, I'll take you out on some nice singletrack.

good luck with your new ride!

Andy

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2003, 12:33:56 am »
I never even thought about polishing my swingarm, I think that matt effect looks cool !

You've got a great frame, hope you enjoy as much as I do.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2003, 03:01:41 am »
I think that matt effect looks cool!

Hey! That's "matte"! I'll grant that you said it looks cool, but I still don't want my name confused with "dull."  :P

--Matt
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2003, 03:53:00 am »
all good suggestions and answers above.

also, you should take the shock off the frame and then the spring off and cycle it to see if it still has a nitrogen charge. the piston should move back out with some force (NR-1).

then while you are at it adjust the main pivot and hopefully none of the quad rings are pinched or missing or missing any pinch bolts.

there's info on the k2 website about main pivot adjustment.

don't know if you are upgrading the shock right away or not

and...if you don't have one...invest in a torque wrench that measures in inch pounds. 150 inch# is the rec torque for the shock bolts.

if you need help with the other stuff post again.

you will love the frame! [smiley=beer.gif]

GrimJack

• Administrator
  • Master
  • 43 pounds isn't heavy.
    • idRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2003, 02:32:26 pm »
Like everyone else said, don't worry about breaking the swingarm.  There are a lot of board members riding that very same swingarm, and the worst thing we've ever seen happen is some epoxy coming loose and letting the rear dropout out of the carbon.  This was easily fixed by applying some new epoxy - and it has only happened once.

I get the suspicion that you'd break everything else on the bike, yourself included, long before you do any damage to the carbon fiber.  8)
Blair's Observation: The best laid plans of mice and men are usually about equal.

Vitaliy

• Apprentice
More questions,
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2003, 04:59:04 pm »
Thank You very much for all of your feedback, I still have couple questions left:
In future I'm planning to upgrade my rear shock(after i'll save enough money), as far as i know only stratos,
r(e)iese (not sure on speling) and rockshox make shoks available for that frame, i heard a lot of good things about Fox shox , and really look forward to puting one, on that frame. I read that it's possible to do so,and some people on this board done it, do you have any information how to do it and is it really hard, also what would be my other options for shoks?

My another questios is:
is it possible to strighten the front fork.
My friend gave me his fork it's ok fork SR Suntour  MG-91, its a little bit bented maybe 3-5 degrees, it really hard to notice it, and after wheel is tightened, it's all stright. Do you think it's possible to strighten it up, and which place can do it. I'm going to replace it anyway, but cant do it right now, i want to get Fox for front as well and as you know they kind of expensive as well.

By the way here is some parts I allready have:

Front Hubs - Shimano XT

Rear Hubs - Shimano XT

Front Rim - Ritchey OCR PRO

Rear Rim - Ritchey OCR Comp

Tires - IRC Mythos XC Slick 1.95 K

Seat - 2001 Specialized Body Geometry Comp

Cassette - SRAM Powerglide II 7.0 9speed

Front Der. - Shimano LX 9speed

Rear Der. - Shimano Deore 9spd (going to buy SRAM 9.0 or X.0)

Shifters - Shimano Deore 9speed, (planing to switch to SRAM 9.0 Triggers, what you think about them?)

Crank - Hollow Shimano Deore Octalink(right now they have really good deal on 2002 Tru Vativ Firex ISIS Crankset on pricepoint.com $39.99, might get one with RaceFace BB evolve erx, or Raceface Prodigy ISIS crank from ebay with same Bottom Bracket. What do you think, which one is better?

Pedals - Some BMX pedals

BB - ES-70 Octalink

BB - ES-70 square

Here is some parts I still Need to get Headset( any suggestions want to spend less than $30)

I have TITEC Enduro XC, but dont have stem, i seen SYNTACE VRO STEM/BAR COMBO OE  adjustible stem and handlebar for $39.00 on jensonusa.com weight for both 460gr , probably would get that.

What do You think so far?

Any Suggestion are welcome,
thank you for your help. [smiley=nod.gif]

Vitaliy Khimich.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2003, 05:24:21 pm by Vitaliy »
'00 K2 EVO 4.0

IFO

• Journeyman
  • Is A-line open yet?
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2003, 05:19:18 pm »
a FOX vanilla RC can be made to fit easily into that frame....

and its totally worthi it...

in fact a few peoplerecently  here have done just that...

dont bother wasting time on your frt fork, get something else...

unless u cant afford it... [smiley=coolfrown.gif]

the FOX forx for the frt. would be a really nice match to the frame....

good luck...

keep us updated on the buildup...inc pics plz...
if i cry a tear everyday till A-line re-opens i'll have a lake in my house...8-(

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2003, 06:59:12 am »
doesn't the fit of a fox van r depend on frame size?
If it's a large it would fit.

zulu

• Journeyman
  • I love da dirt!
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2003, 07:23:10 am »
Your frame looks great cant wait to see it when it's built. Take the others advise and stay withthe 27.2 seat post. I have a friend that needed 24 staples in his legg after the smaller post with shims broke off and gouged his legg really good. 8) Have fun building it up. Try to save up for the Fox front fork if you can it will last a long time.
2006 S-Works Stumpy.
2005 S-Works Epic
2003 Spec. Stumpy FSR Comp.
Pro-flex 856

GrimJack

• Administrator
  • Master
  • 43 pounds isn't heavy.
    • idRiders.com
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2003, 07:34:55 pm »
doesn't the fit of a fox van r depend on frame size?
If it's a large it would fit.

If those pics are his actual frame, it is a large, and an RC will fit just fine.  :)
Blair's Observation: The best laid plans of mice and men are usually about equal.

Vitaliy

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2003, 01:23:39 am »
YES, it's large, and it actual puctures of my frame.
Thank you for all the help.
'00 K2 EVO 4.0