Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:44:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 63
Total: 63
63 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: mech Discs, Avid or Hayes or Deore  (Read 3494 times)

lokomonkey

• Apprentice
  • vencer o morir!
mech Discs, Avid or Hayes or Deore
« on: February 11, 2003, 12:18:03 pm »
 ??? hey guys I'm soo close to get discs, I know I want mech,(since is easier to maintain and I suck as a mechanic!!) so my questio is; Avid? or hayes? may be deore?

lokomonkey

• Apprentice
  • vencer o morir!
Re: mech Discs, Avid or Hayes or Deore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2003, 12:19:58 pm »
one more thing... what size rotor will fit in the front? (with a psylo sl set up? 6" or 8") and in the rear wheel?

GrimJack

• Administrator
  • Master
  • 43 pounds isn't heavy.
    • idRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 12:23:19 pm »
No question, get Avids.  They are the best thing you can get that still runs on cables by a big margin.

If your Psylo runs the through axle, you can mount 8" rotors, otherwise, stick with the 6".
Blair's Observation: The best laid plans of mice and men are usually about equal.

jimbo

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 12:31:38 pm »
For Mechanical, ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES, AVIDS ;D

I have heard good things about the Deore Hydros.

I currently run 165s on my Pyslo.  If I were to do it again, I would probably run 185s up front.  If I had a through axle, I would even try 205s.  165s in the back is good enough for me.

Carbon_Kiwi

• Master
    • Aotearoa Web Design
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2003, 12:37:58 pm »
yeah - avid's seem 2 b the go when it comes 2 mech disc brakes. i am looking at going disc sometime in the not too distant future and will probably go with avids.
the only thing i'm wondering is, just how does the performance compare to hydro's?
those new xtr units look pretty dam impressive and i'd say will have an impact on aftermarket disc design [the alloy screw-on adaptor thingy].
i guess what i'm saying is - do you avid owners out there really [i mean 'really'] rate your discs highly?
i have arch rivals at the mo, and they are pretty good, i'd be wanting a considerable improvement to splash out on their discs [cause it's gonna cost me new wheels too]...
ProFlex 957 [retired - but she will be back...]
K2 Oz - I LOVE my Oz   [smiley=nod.gif]
Giant OCR-0
Diamond Back Apex
Specialized Source Eleven

GrimJack

• Administrator
  • Master
  • 43 pounds isn't heavy.
    • idRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2003, 01:00:22 pm »
Let's see here... I've run:
- Shimano XT Vs
- Shimano XTR Vs
- Bargain basement Vs
- Avid cable discs
- Hope Enduro 4 hydros
- Hayes hydros

After all that, the Avids had just as much stopping power as both sets of hydros I've run.  The lever feel was just as good on the front brake, the rear was a fair bit mushier than a well bled hydro system.

The areas I ride eat cables... too much grindy mud that packs up even the best sealed cable systems fast.  If it wasn't for that, I'd have stuck with the avids.

They truly are a world better than rim brakes, a good step above any other cable actualted disc, and a fair bit better than many hydros!
Blair's Observation: The best laid plans of mice and men are usually about equal.

5500C

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2003, 01:18:51 pm »
The Avid's are awesome.  I have it only on the front right now b/c I'm waiting for my Hammerhead.

Check out my gallery.

jimbo

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2003, 01:21:22 pm »

i guess what i'm saying is - do you avid owners out there really [i mean 'really'] rate your discs highly?

I was the first guy in my group with Avids.  We all had Vs before.  Now everyone has Avids after trying them out on my bike.  ;D The modulation and power is so good that I even switch from 2 finger braking to single digit braking. 8)

Beside what GrimJack said, I think the Hydros might have an advantage at maximum braking modulation sensitivity.  The cable will continue to stretch at maximum pressure so you lose some modulation sensitivity.  While the hydro will definitely have a lever pressure at maximum effort.  But you got to be going really really fast to require that kind of modulation requirements. :o

« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 01:23:04 pm by jimbo »