Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:32:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 16
Total: 16
16 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Anybody here build their own wheels?  (Read 5212 times)

slowride

• Journeyman
  • Mmmmm... dirt!
Anybody here build their own wheels?
« on: February 06, 2003, 02:23:00 pm »
I started last year... got off to a good start, I guess, since I haven't had to retrue my first wheels yet.

Anyway, I'm going to be building new wheels for my Disco Monkey. I have a front King Iso Disc hub that they rebuilt for me out of an old non-disc hub. I'm trying to find a good quality but less expensive than King rear hub now. I keep coming back to Hugi Onyx, Hope Bulb, and Ringle Abbah, although I just heard from a couple friends who broke the pawls on their Abbahs so that one's probably out.

There's about a $50 difference between the Hugi and the Hope. Anybody have direct experience with either of these hubs?

FYI, the wheels will be 32 spoke, 3x, to Mavic F219s (probably).

TIA!

Joe

• Novice
Re: Anybody here build their own wheels?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 03:37:52 pm »
I for one am proud of anyone who build's up wheelsets, congrats!! I've built a half dozen now and have LOVED every minute of it. If I might boast abit:
    blue King discotechs 32h, laced
    up with black 14/15db DTSwiss Comps 3x, with
    blue alloy Spline-Drive nips, and citron Mavic 317's
 XTR 32h laced with black 15/17db DTSwiss 3x,
     green Spline-Drive nips to black Mavic 618 on the
     front, and XTR 32h laced with black DTSwiss
     14/15db 3x on the driveside/ 15/17db radial on
     the non-driveside, green Splines to black Mavic
 XT 32h, dtswiss db 3x, Mavic 317

XT 32h, dt swiss straight, Sun Rhino lites

xt 32h, dt db, sun rhinos

many many rebuilds of crap wheels ie formula hubs to wienmann rim etc etc etc

my lbs LOVES his new hugi rear, i like the hope!!??
« Last Edit: February 06, 2003, 03:38:41 pm by Joe »

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2003, 03:56:55 pm »
I built a set for my road bike last spring. Lots of fun!

I just bought a set of Bontrager wheels that have relabeled DT Swiss Onyx disc hubs. Don't know if those are the same as the Hugi, but I think they are. If so, they seem to be pretty decent (in my limited experience with them). I think OP has tortured a set of them for a lot longer than I have. You might fire him a message and see if I'm remembering that correctly. Over on MTBR, they rave about the Hugi's and the Hope's. I doubt you could go wrong with either one. If you're going to use the Mavic 219's, you're probably not overly concerned with weight, so why not just go with the cheaper one... 8)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Redshift

• Novice
  • Going fast is fun, but it isn't required!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 01:23:13 am »
Hope Bulbs allow you to switch between standard QR and 20mm thru just by adding an adapter.  It's a kick ass system, but that's only  relevent for the front wheel I guess.  Still I really like my Bulbs.  They sound a bit like King hubs.

I was nervous building my first set of wheels but it's been far easier and stress free the past couple sets.  Wouldn't go any other way now!  Being able to spec your own spokes and nipples without paying through the nose is sweet.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2003, 01:25:06 am by Redshift »

slowride

• Journeyman
  • Mmmmm... dirt!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 01:37:25 am »
Joe:
Thanks! I'm not quite at the volume you are yet, but getting there! My first wheels were:

Front: Real disc hub, Mavic F519, Sapim DB spokes
Rear: Sram 9.0 hub, Velocity Deep V, same spokes.

It took me awhile, but it was very satisfying. I'm currently building some cheapies for a bike I'm building for my brother in law: old Shimano XT (Parallax) hubs, Alex X202 ($11.49 each!), DT 14 gauge spokes. My total cost was something like $25 per wheel (not counting the time I spent).

Matno: Yep, those are the same hubs. Either Hugi builds them for DT Swiss or the other way around, or maybe they are the same company? Anyway, it's the same hub. I'll send a message to OP.

I'm not too concerned with the weight, at least on this bike. I pretty much threw that concern out the window when I decided to get a dual crown fork. ;D

I just wanted to make sure there weren't any durability issues with either hub, cause I don't want to end up rebuilding the wheel next year. Since they both seem good, I'll probably get the cheaper one...

Redshift: How many miles do you have on the Hopes? Have you had any problems with them?

Thanks guys!

CTYankee

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 03:00:24 am »
I have Hayes Elite...aka DT/HUGI Onyx.  They are fairly durable, but I did break on part in the rear.  DT was VERY quick to fix it at no charge (it was a bad lot of parts from a supoplier).  

The only thing I don't like is that there is a good ammount of pedal rotation before the pawls engage.  On my kings its nearly instant.  Great for technical riding.  The Hugi isn't so bad, but it does make a difference if you like your pedal stroke to engage quickly.

Redshift

• Novice
  • Going fast is fun, but it isn't required!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2003, 03:09:23 am »
Lots of miles and I got them used from a downhiller.  Hope is really good about sending new bearings and parts too.  Some while back I recall Callum or Hammer raving about them too.

They are instant engage hubs too, almost as good as Kings, but not quite.

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2003, 04:22:00 am »
I also build my own wheels.  Although, i got annoyed this morning to find out that they don't make SRAM 9.0sl hubs anymore.

so I bought some complete disk wheelsets and will stick them in the stand and make sure they are true.  These are for sale rather than for me.

I always watch a good movie whilst building wheels.  The quality of the movie is inversely propertional to the quality of the wheel.  My "The Matrix" rear wheel [sram 9.0sl on mavic x517] was not very good.  

callum
rdi
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

Joe

• Novice
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2003, 08:20:38 am »
Now thats funny, cause I do the same thing!!! :-/ Although I always put much care and pride in, destractions can definitely make you have to relace a side!!!!!  ;D

Steve_O

• Novice
  • There's a downside to everything... Ride it!.
    • FCMB
Re: King Hubs
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2003, 02:49:13 pm »
I have a set of Chis King blue disc hubs if either of you need them. I'd let them go for $175 or less...

Steve O
Steve O

GrimJack

• Administrator
  • Master
  • 43 pounds isn't heavy.
    • idRiders.com
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2003, 06:00:54 pm »
Hey Steve - details on those hubs!  Axle types?  Front and Rear, I assume... are they the old ones that take adapters to run discs, or the ones with the disc mount built in?

CK hubs is one of the last things still on my build list for my ride. :)
Blair's Observation: The best laid plans of mice and men are usually about equal.

Steve O

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2003, 04:24:46 am »
The disc mounts are built in. Rear hub is a standard QR. The front is one of Kings' Scraxle(spelling?) where the QR is the diameter of a standard QR's axle tube, but fits standard drop outs. Both are Blue ano. Both are unbuilt.

I think there is a picture here: http://216.102.118.146/fcmb/gallery/parts/images/mixed_disk_hubs_001.jpg

They are the second from the left.

Steve O

"There's a downside to everything, ride it"

I can't login from work... where the hell did I put that password.

GrimJack

• Administrator
  • Master
  • 43 pounds isn't heavy.
    • idRiders.com
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2003, 12:09:45 pm »
Standard 32 spoke?

The front is not the one I am looking for. :(  I run a 20mm thru axle.

Would you be interested in selling them separately?
Blair's Observation: The best laid plans of mice and men are usually about equal.

slowride

• Journeyman
  • Mmmmm... dirt!
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2003, 12:23:34 pm »
a "Scraxle" isn't a King hub anyway... it's a Ritchey. But I believe it's one of those that can be converted between 20mm and regular QR.

Steve_O

• Novice
  • There's a downside to everything... Ride it!.
    • FCMB
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2003, 01:58:35 pm »
My bad they are Ritchey's, sorry for the confusion. A rider in our club left them for  me to settle up on a debt. I thought they were King's. Seems I have another issue to settle also.....

Steve O
Steve O