Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 07:31:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 83
Total: 83
83 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Q's about install of Risse Astro 5 on oz  (Read 3549 times)

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
Q's about install of Risse Astro 5 on oz
« on: February 03, 2003, 03:55:26 pm »
I know at least a couple of  you have Astro 5's on the rear end of you Oz'. Your favorable comments are the reason why I bought one for Blue Crush.
anyway, I am about ready to install mine.
My big question is this, the one that I have seems a bit different in that the adjustment lever is almost on the opposite side of the shock than the air valve is on.
In other words, if I were to mount the shock so that the air valve points directly to the back of the bike, the lever would almost point at the "seat tube".
weird, huh?
I guess I will have to call Risse about this, as the gallery pix I have seen show astro 5's with the air valve and lever in line with each other.
any help anyone can give me or should I just speak to Risse?

K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

EH

• Novice
  • 4000RS
    • CardVibes
Re: Q's about install of Risse Astro 5 on oz
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 07:30:18 pm »
I recently bought a Astro 5 for my 4000RS. I think this should be the same shock.
Whith the air valve pointing to the back, the adjustment lever is halfway between poiting to the left and the back. So I would call Risse if I were you...

I have question about the Astro too. The adjustment lever should be indexed in five steps. But I can hardly feel these steps. How's that at your end? The terrein I've been riding since I installed it, isn't extreme enough to determine wether changing the lever position actually makes a differencein damping...

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 12:28:41 am »
I'd check with Risse just to be sure, but I'm pretty sure you can just turn it around (after letting the air out). Don't take my word for it. I know mine was slightly twisted and it straightened right out. My Stratos was the same way - they said to just turn it around.

As for the damping lever, the 5 positions are not real distinct clicks. Hard to feel if you're wearing gloves, but ok with bare fingers. However, they do make a difference. On mine, all the way closed is practically locked out, while the other end is quite soft (although I think it could be softer - it was valved for a slightly heavier rider). Seems to work pretty well. Also, it may just be me, but it seemed like it wasn't a continuous adjustment, but rather only worked when it was clicked into one of the 5 positions. (i.e. it seemed like the damping didnt really work in an in-between position) but it could have just been my imagination...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Redshift

• Novice
  • Going fast is fun, but it isn't required!
you can just turn the Astro
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 03:42:10 am »
you could put one end in a vise and a screwdriver in the opposite eyelet and turn, or just use two screwdrivers.  Deflating the shock is a good idea, as Matno said.  

I had this problem with a Genesis a few years ago and that's what Risse told me to do.  So give it a twist and don't worry about it.

You can swap the oil yourself easily.  There's instructions (or instructions used to be) on the Risse web site, and you can call them and they'll walk you through the disassembly.

Changing oil weight is the easiest way to adjust the damping range in all Risse shocks.

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 06:11:31 am »
Ok guys, I guess I will try turning one of the eyelets 180, should just about do it.
Also, the "detents" on my Astro seem to be barely noticeable. Feels almost like a continuous adjustment.
have a good day. :D
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis