Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:22:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 73
Total: 73
73 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Hammerhead - 5500C Problems?  (Read 7832 times)

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
Re: Hammerhead - 5500C Problems?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2003, 07:13:07 am »
I'm trying to stay away from air forks especially since I put a Vanilla RC on the rear, I don't have much Noleen alliance anymore.

I'm debating between the Manitou Black Comp 100/120 right now.  $299 at Supergo.  

http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp?compflag=0&parentid=17996&company=Answer&secid=7559&subid=1808

I'm kind of sad that I will have to get rid of the Carbon forks though, they look really cool with the carbon frame and how the legs were stretched out in front of the axle.  Oh well.  I'm getting sucked into the coolness of disks.  But then again, I've never had anything to complain about my XTR V's.  AM I CRAZY?

you are NOT crazy at all!!! do it and you will forget the xlink, the discs and new fork will be sooo nice going downhill, you will need a shorter stem, too to better match the new fork. you'll work a little harder to get up, but it will be harder to wipe that grin off your face going down!!

the xlink *is* a great xc fork, that's it though, IMO

GrimJack

• Administrator
  • Master
  • 43 pounds isn't heavy.
    • idRiders.com
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2003, 09:55:52 am »
If you want to stick with the carbon theme, see if you can find one of these.  They are super nice forks, and the lowers are carbon and aluminum.

'Tis a Manitou Supernova.  Chances are you'd have to find one used, they are also super rare. :)

Blair's Observation: The best laid plans of mice and men are usually about equal.

IFO

• Journeyman
  • Is A-line open yet?
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2003, 10:58:42 am »
as much as i love my Xvert carbon DH, i'd not recommend one to anyone at this point due to the lack of spare parts and the fact the fork is now outa production for over 2 seasons...

they are outstanding forks, but if you cant get parts it dont matter.... :(

Manitou's "dry-lube" system is higher maintainence then "oil-bath" forks, but its SO worth it...

the maintainence is "kindergarden easy" and takes less then 10 mins...

avoid the MEGA-air like it has the plague...the guy in our group who has one, feels worse then Daves stratos S7, and thats saying something...i dont understand how anyone can choose a Air-fork over a coil/oil one.... i dotn care how much weight it saves, if the travel is so shitty....

outa the forks listed the Black 120 is the one to get... those forks with teh "RA" reversed arch are amazingly stiff for a reg axle fork.... i know people who own em that say they are stiffer then a Zokie QR20 SC...thats saying sometihng cuz the QR20 is pretty stiff....

enjoy...

p.s. that bike in Daves pic has nice brakes.... ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2003, 10:59:11 am by IFO »
if i cry a tear everyday till A-line re-opens i'll have a lake in my house...8-(

5500C

• Journeyman
Re: I made a purchasing accident!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2003, 01:45:47 pm »
Allright, I got caught up in the heat of the moment and bought a fork on Ebay.  I figured the price point looked realy good.  Its a 2002 Manitou Black Elite 100/120.  Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2705197416&category=36135#BID1

I sure hope the stem is long enough at 7 7/8".  I think it should be allright, if anyone can help please let me know.

Brad

IFO

• Journeyman
  • Is A-line open yet?
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2003, 02:07:56 pm »
measure your stack height on your current build...

u running a X-link right ? thats alot taller then the Manitou will need....

7-7/8 is enuf im sure....

p.s. nice choice, your gunna love the ride quality/handling of the Manitou...

get yourself a Manitou grease gun. if the fork didnt come with one.. you'll need it..
if i cry a tear everyday till A-line re-opens i'll have a lake in my house...8-(

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2003, 02:21:14 am »
Go here for '03 Activas dirt cheap and direct from Thor USA and read the review-they have been improved and I at least wouldn't think twice in choosing them over the Avids.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27949&item=2704993155&rd=1

http://groups.msn.com/FOGFormulaOwnersGroup/formulatestsaroundtheworld.msnw

check out Mike T test there will tell you eveything ...
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

Oddblob

• Novice
  • Keep your Rembrandt, true art is the 5500 frame...
    • Freeride Heaven
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2003, 07:03:58 am »
This is a little late, as you've already bought a fork (and presumably on your way to a hammerhead), but maybe others are in the same situation.  Installing the Hammerhead couldn't be easier - don't fear it one bit.  As for putting disks on a crosslink, I've had mine now for anout a year and a half.  In that time I've switched to a Marzocchi Z3 QR20 (twice) thinking that the extra travel would be just the ticket and ended up swapping the crosslink back because its just too good not to use.  I am addicted to the 'precise' feel of the steering and how it just looks right on my 5500.  Sure the 3" (at best) of travel is pretty short, but for general trail riding and drops up to 2 feet, I've found it to be excellent.

And by the way, I run Avid discs.  I also bought a set of Activas (not the latest ones tho') and couldn't believe how thoroughly crappy they were - I consider them actually unusable and they are in the bottom of a box somewhere as a testament to the worst $50 I've ever spent on a bike part.  I would only buy the new Activas if you could check them out in person, and then maybe buy from Thor, whose reputation for customer service is outstanding.  Just my $.02.

-Wade

P.S. As always, ongoing thanks to RDI and OP for the Hammerhead and the instructions for building a crosslink disc mount.
Me riding a 5500 is like Bobcat Goldthwait riding Nikki Cox.

IFO

• Journeyman
  • Is A-line open yet?
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2003, 10:45:34 am »
u do 2 foot drops on a X-link ???

cool, you rok...

your braver then me...when i first started getting into "freeride" i was using my 98 4000, with a Azonic super shorty stem, and Easton EA50 risers... but the X-link was to flaky...

i quickly swapped it for the 99 6" boXXer, and never looked back...

p.s. i agree avoid the Activa's... esp when the Avids are so good and cheap...why get anything else???