Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 07:55:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57
57 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Hammerhead - 5500C Problems?  (Read 7845 times)

5500C

• Journeyman
Hammerhead - 5500C Problems?
« on: February 02, 2003, 03:11:26 pm »
I'm seriously contemplating putting this on my bike.  I'm a bit afraid of drilling the holes in the dropouts though.  Has anyone had any problems with this?

I know if I screw it up or if it bends under stress, finding a new swingarm will be a b*tch!!!  Should I just be happy with my XTR V's?

GrimJack

• Administrator
  • Master
  • 43 pounds isn't heavy.
    • idRiders.com
Re: Hammerhead - 5500C Problems?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2003, 03:15:57 pm »
Don't worry about it.  They are really easy to install, and to date have worked perfectly for everyone.

If you are really uncertain, take the swingarm and the hammerhead kit down to a local machineshop and pay them a few bucks to install it.  It won't cost much, and it won't take long.
Blair's Observation: The best laid plans of mice and men are usually about equal.

IFO

• Journeyman
  • Is A-line open yet?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2003, 03:19:09 pm »
get the hammerhead... its "idiot-proofed"...

trust me u CANT screw it up...

just measure 2-3 tims, and drill it once...

dont sweat it, just get the hammerhead

Discs brakes are worth teh 5 minutes it'l take u to get adaptor set up.... ;D

what brakes u looking at?

if u say these:

http://www.grimeca.it/grimeca/it/freni/idraulici_s_18ibs.htm

i'll have to reach throu the phone-lines and throttle you, ahahhah

sorry for teh italian link the English site seems to be borked... >:(
if i cry a tear everyday till A-line re-opens i'll have a lake in my house...8-(

5500C

• Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2003, 03:28:43 pm »
IFO, how did you know.  I want those brakes, j/k.  I want a mild setup and was thinking of getting the Avid Mechanicals b/c I have XTR combo shifter/brake levers.  

I have the Carbon Cross Links though and don't feel that ambitious with trying to epoxy on a brake adaptor.  Also, this has to put undue stress on the legs of the fork, don't you think?

IFO

• Journeyman
  • Is A-line open yet?
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2003, 03:40:35 pm »
i beleive the X-link is suffecintly strong enuf for discs...but its more hassle then that dated ol fork deserves...

if u stay with V's thats a good fork. but if your going to discs, get a new fork...

the Avids are oustanding, get em...

for a fork, if u can provide some riding style detials i'll gladly throwout some fork options i think will work well... ;D

u could also just tell me to bugger off, adn mind my own business... :o
if i cry a tear everyday till A-line re-opens i'll have a lake in my house...8-(

5500C

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2003, 03:51:19 pm »
Why would I tell you to bug off IFO, you helped me spec out and make sure the RC I bought on Ebay would fit!

Anyways, I live in Southern California limiting me to basically fireroads straight up and straight down (fast)!!!  Ocassionally I will go "freeriding" on the ski slopes but not that often.  My 5500C is spec'd with full XTR, race face cranks, Vanilla RC, carbon cross/smartshock fork, easton carbon bars and seatpost.  So I'm a bit weight conscious, but not too bad.

Psylo, Marzocchi's?  I'd have to get the Avid's and wheels, so I'll probably try and wait for a deal either on ebay or supergo.  What do you think?

IFO

• Journeyman
  • Is A-line open yet?
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2003, 04:18:00 pm »

you will quite often see wheel/brake combos on the online shops come up....

since your in Cali. thats a good option for you...

r u near Supergo? if so i think instore prices are lower...might be worth your time to head in... :D

for a fork, thats big question is cost a big factor?

if so then my first choice is kinda hard sell... the FOX forks are were u should be looking..

if cost is a real factor, then again watchout for clearance deals... u dont seem like the type of rider who needs a heavy duty SC fork... get something with 4"s of travel (preferably not Air).... :-/

a adjustable travel fork like a Pyslo might work, but its gunna be more travel/weight then u need im guessing...

gimme more feedback... :D

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.asp?number=17860

http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp?compflag=0&parentid=17996&company=Answer&secid=7559&subid=1808

heres a couple of suitable forks...both are good...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2003, 04:22:57 pm by IFO »

5500C

• Journeyman
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2003, 04:44:57 pm »
The fox forks do look really nice.  I just don't know enough about the forks to make an educated decision.  Also with the deals at Supergo, its hard not to pass up the Manitou or the Marzocchi Atom.

http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp?compflag=0&parentid=18667&company=Marzocchi&secid=7559&subid=1808

What do you think about either?  + or - 's.  The price point is hard to beat.  I don't want to sound too cheap, but with these prices, its hard not to bottom fish.  

IFO

• Journeyman
  • Is A-line open yet?
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2003, 05:32:05 pm »
i personaly wont own another Zokie SC fork...

to many of em are having issues when pressed hard..

my 01 Z1 with the ECC, has been warrrentied once already, it had a loosened steerer, adn had several internal "issues"...
now the ECC has flaking out already, and i've prolly used it less then 20 times..it wont stay locked down consitnetly anymore....sometimes it pops back to full height quickly, other times it slowly creeps out...

and the Crown creaks like a bastard when i use alot of frt brake, like nose wheelies or situations when u put alot of stress on teh fork....

basicly i wont tell u to try one... im not saying there junk, but u can fill the blanks in....

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2003, 07:22:47 pm »
IFO will yell and scream and tell me to bugger off cos its an air fork...ediscout has noleen mega airs for $169

ediscount
kiwi proflex rider

GET

• Journeyman
  • Where are the land bridges?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2003, 09:25:17 pm »
As you may have noted from previous posts, I also have a 5500C.  I'll give you my experience, but remember to suit yourself above all else.

First, I do recommend getting a new fork.  I got a RS Duke Race shortly after they came out.  I'm very happy with it.  In retrospect, I probably would go with the Duke SL model for more travel (if I were going with the RS Duke line.)  A few of my buddies have gone with the Psylos and are also very happy.  With this bike I do aggressive crosscountry with small drops and lots of rocks and roots.  I use another bike for more serious drops.

Brakes:  I have to agree with the Avids since you have the XTR levers.  This makes a great combination.  If you go with Grimecas or Formula Activas, you'll probably want to upgrade later.  I am actually running the Formula Activas and they do function okay.  I do find myself often tweaking the little thumb wheels even during a ride.  I have Avids on the front of another bike with the XTR levers.  Much less hassle and great braking.  If you have any inclination towards hydraulics, now is the time to dive in.
Physics rules!   (5500C & Animal)

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Go Avids! And a fork recommendation...
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2003, 10:22:22 pm »
I love my Avids. They are amazing. However, if you are riding dry fire roads almost exclusively, they would mostly be a coolness thing. My V's worked fine in dry stuff and I wanted the discs mostly for muddy conditions. However, I'm not trying to talk you out of discs!

It wouldn't make much sense to get a rear disc and not upgrade your fork to take a disc as well. My personal recommendation is the Manitou X-vert. It was made for 2000-01 model years, but lots of them are still available in new or nearly new condition. I picked a new one up for my wife's bike last year for $119!!! (Too bad THAT deal isn't available anymore!) I did see the X-vert Super going for as low as $200 new. I've seen them on eBay in practically new condition for as low as $80. At any rate, it's a fabulous 4 inch fork with a great damper (TPC+, which is the same system Cannondale just licensed from Manitou for its new 5" Lefty - an incredible "fork"!) Best of all, you can get it in black which would match your carbon frame quite nicely...

And if you don't get an X-vert, I definitely recommend getting at least a 4" fork. 3 inches just don't do this frame justice. You'll see what I mean when you try it. I can't vouch for more than 4, but going from 3 to 4 inches was the single biggest improvement to my ride that I ever made (and I've made a lot of changes!)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2003, 02:45:46 am »
IFO will yell and scream and tell me to bugger off cos its an air fork...ediscout has noleen mega airs for $169

kiwi, i emailed ediscount months ago asking if they were going to get a "supply" of k2 Mega~Air's, looks like they do.  this would be a good way for "5500C" to go disc and keep it "Noleen" especially for the type of riding you do in SoCal.

ediscount

5500C

• Journeyman
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2003, 03:21:57 am »
I'm trying to stay away from air forks especially since I put a Vanilla RC on the rear, I don't have much Noleen alliance anymore.

I'm debating between the Manitou Black Comp 100/120 right now.  $299 at Supergo.  

http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp?compflag=0&parentid=17996&company=Answer&secid=7559&subid=1808

I'm kind of sad that I will have to get rid of the Carbon forks though, they look really cool with the carbon frame and how the legs were stretched out in front of the axle.  Oh well.  I'm getting sucked into the coolness of disks.  But then again, I've never had anything to complain about my XTR V's.  AM I CRAZY?

slowride

• Journeyman
  • Mmmmm... dirt!
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2003, 06:11:30 am »
About the Manitou Black... It has the great damping, and a great ride quality initially, but for me, it had big durability problems. Practically every adjustment on the thing is plastic, and not very durable plastic at that.

However, if you don't tend to ride through stuff where your equipment gets bashed a lot, then it probably won't matter. I tend to ride over logs and big rocks, and I'm pretty much like a bull in a china shop.

I also had to do a lot of maintenance on my fork, but I don't know how typical that is.

I had an Xvert Super before, and that seemed a lot more durable to me. If you can find one used, they are going for great prices. I also seem to recall seeing regular Xverts on sale somewhere recently, I'll see if I can find that...