Forum > Tech Forum

Swingarm Sealed bearing system

<< < (3/8) > >>

Simon:

--- Quote from: DugB on September 19, 2008, 12:12:42 pm ---Hello all,

I'm going to build and install the swingarm sealed bearing system on my K2/Proflex 4000 this weekend and am wondering: how much material will I end up reaming off? Is the reaming necessary just to create a perfectly round mating surface for the bearings, or is it needed or increase the inner diameter of the swingarm mount sheel so it can even accommodate the bearings?

Thanks in advance,
- Doug

--- End quote ---

Both your reaming to increase the diameter from (if I remember correctly) 22mm to 24mm so the bearings will fit and also ensuring the diameter is perfectly round.
In an ideal world you would have a machine shop line bore them.

Simon.

DugB:
Hey all,

I received my 7075 spindle and spacers in the mail from the machinist a few days ago...really nice work! The spindle is super light due to the through-drilling, and the spacers stop definitively at the spindle ridge.

My only question, though, is how tight the bearing-to-spindle fit should be? My bearings seem like they'd require a little force to get onto the spindle...is that correct?

Dropped my swingarm and bearings off at the local machine shop this morning...not sure when it will be done (hopefully not more than a few days), and then we'll see how this thing goes together :-)

Thanks again for posting all the info here!

- Doug :-)

DugB:
So I picked up my reamed swingarm at the machine shop today...and my otherwise reasonable shop made me feel a bit reamed too, $80 lighter when I left. They said one reason it took that long (and that much $$) was because they had to think hard about how to clamp it (so as to not break the bond between the allow & carbon) and that there were no flat areas to use as a reference. I'm  thinking they used a line boring machine, as opposed to the hand reamer in the pictures. Well, the work looks great, and I needed a little project, so I'm not too upset about the cost. At this point I think I'm into this project for $140...and surprisingly the bearings were the cheapest part. An experiences machinist probably could've done it for the cost of the bearings, bolts & 7075 stock, seemingly about $30. Sadly, I am not a skilled machinist :-)

I also found some nice titanium, M8x25 flanged hex bolts on eBay (seller is  nj-cycles). The pics aren't as accurate for the product you receive...on the bolts they sent the threads go nearly alll the way to the flange, and a run with an M8 die took them all the way to the top. 

Tonight I'll start the reassembly process...this is the fun part :-)

- Doug

shovelon:
DugB, the assembly is going to be SOOOO easy!  Then you are done forever. Too bad, because nothing left to tinker there. ::)

Terry

DugB:
Hey!

That's nice to hear...I do know that I have some light reduction to do on the spindle end ODs, as the bearings were a tight fit when I test fitted them. A temperature differential would probably take care of it, but I didn't want to have a hard time disassembling it the next time around. Sound like the right approach to try to reduce the diameter a thousandth or so?

Thanks!
- Doug :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version