Forum > Tech Forum

Rear shock adaptors?

(1/6) > >>

DugB:
Hello all,

A while back people were talking about all the different ways we could mount double eyelet (e.g. Fox Float) rear shocks on our X56's and X57's...whatever happened to those ideas?

Is there anyone on the list with machinist capabilities or CAD skills who can make/draft something for general sale? I'm thinking of a more refined version of this:

shovelon:
Hey Doug, could you email me the pic, as again images are being blocked on my viewer. I have an AutoCad guy on staff here. Got some ideas on how to machine these also.

Terry

DugB:
OK, will do...I actually found some steel rods here I bought as lathe stock that already have a taper on one end, which happens to match the rear strut inner taper well...and they're thick enough to have a channel machined through them to act as a U-channel, in which the lower shock eyelet could be inserted. My only issue is that cutting the channel will be difficult for me, as I have no milling machine. Though it would raise the rear end a bit, I was thinking about a 7.5" Fox Float RP2 might be a nice rear shock. Or maybe 6.5 would be better, though I'd like to have the additional .5" of stroke.

Check your email in a few minutes...

- Doug

sammydog:
Here is the picture of what I have done, but I think the adapter in your photo looks a lot neater. I think in the short term I may have to have something like that made up. Mine is functional, but weighty and not overly aesthetically pleasing.

I was able to match the eye to eye measurements of the old set up, but I am not sure what change to the travel was made by going to a standard shock. I suspect it has been slightly increased. Its feel is immeasurably better though.

It probably wouldn't be bad to have a thread where everyone posts their adapters, it may give people a few ideas about doing there own.

DugB:
Sammydog, I think yours looks way better than the one I posted (I copied the photo from some eBay auction, I think). I like that you machined external flats as well, which would allow for the use of a lock washer under the bolt head. Does it have a taper where it fits into the strut, to match that inside the strut? If so, I think yours is the total package...I think this part would be an excellent candidate for digitization and submission to eMachineShop for quantity production. If the cost is decent I wouldn't mind fronting the cash for a certain quantity provided there is sufficient demand on the list. And the person who creates the CAD file that meets eMachineShop's criteria gets at least one free :-)

- Doug :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version