Forum > Tech Forum

Speaking of shock replacement...

(1/2) > >>

Mike_Farris:
I just got my new used Helix Pro yesterday. It was obviously ridden, but it's in good shape. Now I just need to build the damn bike up and go riding...   ::)

I have a question for the Helix users out there. I was acting like a giddy school girl when I got the shock, and in the process of getting some mud cleaned out of the threads, I compressed the shock without any air in it. According to the manual (which, of course, I read AFTER I started messing with it :o ), doing this will make the shock malfunction. On the Stratos website, they give instructions on "burping" your shock. Is this what I need to do?

BTW, nice work on the new forum!

Matno:
Are you sure that burping doesn't apply to "air-assist" shocks like the Helix Pro? I was under the impression that it did, but I could be wrong.

Best bet is to call Stratos. I'd guess that if you only compressed it part way, you're probably okay. Whatever you do, don't pull it back out without air. Use the air to re-extend it. I think Stratos goes overboard to make sure their shocks don't get messed up. When I called on the phone, they told me I could run the air pressure as low as 80psi to get full compression.

Matno:
I don't really think that burping the shock has anything to do with extending the shock body without air pressure in it. The way I understand it, the air and oil parts of the shock are relatively separate. Burping is for when you get air in the oil part, which I assume means that you've also lost oil if you're getting cavitation (which is just a gushing bubbly sound whenever the shock moves).

Mike_Farris:
Well, I e-mailed Stratos. Heard back from them yesterday, and they told me to pump it up and ride it. If it makes squishing sounds or doesn't maintain compression, I will have to send it in for a rebuild.

I'm thinking that I only compressed the shock about a half-inch, so I may luck out.

One thing is for sure, though... I've got to get everything put together to find out if I screwed it up. So that will provide me with a little more motivation!  ;)

GrimJack:
It will be fine. :)

The warning is there to prevent people from riding with no air pressure, which will damage your shock just by the fact that you'll damage any shock when you ride it undersprung.

I seriously doubt you could do any damage to it by hand, off the bike... unless you used a hammer to compress it!  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version