Forum > Tech Forum

How long (and who,how,when, and why)have you ridden Pro-Flex/K2?

<< < (2/45) > >>

sammydog:
In 1995 I got rid of my trusty cromoly Diamback hardtale and purchased my first dually, a 955. I bought frame only and had it equiped with a mix of LX, XT and had manitou comp forks put on instead of the girvins. Late last year the 955 finally got the girvins it always deserved when I picked up a set of carbon crosslinks.

In mid 1996 I picked up an 855 and had it spec'd exactly the same. This frame cracked recently.

Both these frames always had a terrible groaning sound however I recently did an overhaul of the 955 pivots and now it is smoother and quieter than ever.

shovelon:
Also in 1995, a friend begged me to go riding with him. I bought a diamondback and rode, and crashed, and bled.

Then riding at a spot called "The Toilet Bowl" I saw these 2 guys unload the ugliest bikes I ever saw. Ugly yes, but thier 955s were fast and agile, with yellow sponges for springs. No way I said to myself.

Then in 1997 I saw the 957 in a bike mag and went mad. That shiny thing was gorgeous,and went to buy one new. No luck, sold out. So I bought a Proflex beast. Best thing I ever did.

When the 4500 and 5500 came out I went nuts again as I was a true Proflex worshiper. The price was out of my range and the Beast fit me well.

Then in 2001 Ediscount posted an ad in the mags for Oz framesets with fork for $799 and my ship had come in.

Sold the Beast and built it up with bike mag sale items. What fun and this rig performed beyond my wildest expectations. Best thing is that it is ever evolving and keeping up with the competion. Latest aquisition is a Evo that I got from SDmike. Cannibalised the Diamondback to outfit the Evo and wow.

Terry

Terry

Carbonman1:
Well,  back in nineteen and ninety-seven,  I was happily riding my old Jamis Dakota rigid up one of our long punishing cow hoofed pocked Bay Area fire roads,  when two guys on Gary Fisher Joshuas floated by.  Joking about my biopace ringed jackhammer, they suggested that I get something more up to date.(pricks)  Anyway,  I took the Jamis in to my LBS for a tuneup when I saw one of Joshuas on the floor.  I took it for a parking lot spin.  Kinda sucked.  Compared to a rigid, it felt like a hobby horse.

I broused around some more and then I saw it (angels singing) A matt blue 756 with yellow lettering and polished Girvin fork.  After a test spin I was hooked.  I would come back an visit it for a few weeks;  at $1200 bucks it was forbidden love.   On another visit the Proflex team truck was delivering new coil over 856's and my 756 was nowhere to be seen.  It had been moved into an obscure corner along with other "last year's" models.  On that day the shop owner offered me the bike for $900 out the door.  I lit off my Mastercard and grinned for the rest of the year.  Then I saw it (angels again)  a carbon fiber 5500.  $4000?  The shop folded and I wouldn't see another until Supergo, and later Ediscountbike,  started blowing out the frames.  

My stable now includes two Carbons, an Evo, and a pristine blue 855 that I picked up from a guy that didn't ride it.  I haven't ridden it either, for that matter, but just looking at a "new" world cup frame all original spec., complete with sticker from the now defunct bike shop is almost like coming home again.  

I have ridden many bikes with fancy shocks and pivots, but none feel right and bring out my best like the Proflex/K2s.

will:
February 1995...

Had destroyed "woodsbikes" from Trek and Bianchi in the 80's and early 90's when I ran across a Proflex dealer. He convinced me that a 455 would be a "raceable" bike perfect for a guy like me.

Neither I nor the bike turned out to be raceable, but it sure could take a beating. I sold it off for a Schwinn S-20 that turned out to be just another pretty face.  [smiley=turtle.gif]

The S-20 has moved on to the land of purple anodized CNC machined cantilever brakes.  [smiley=disbelief.gif]

The 455 was sold off to a guy who wouldn't sell it back for $400! (Smart feller!)  [smiley=groucho.gif]

Anyhow, I got fired up on this website last year and snagged a thashed out 856 frame. Been building it up ever since.

The 3 best things about the 855?  [smiley=nod.gif]
1. When climbing the rear end hooks up like it has chains on the tires.
2. My Crosslink ELT is so sweet. Plush-o-rama.
3. It just looks bad-to-the-bone. Sheez, just look at the gallery shots of these bikes.

Vexableman:
In 1995 my Bro turned me on to Pro Flex.  We liked them so much we both bought new 855's.  At the time I also purchased a 254 for me a 253 for a friend in North Carolina. The 855 is gone (I know where it is though, dusty in a friends garage). The 253 is in NC and is dusty in her garage. I still have the 254 and along the way I grabbed an 854 for fun.  See them in my gallary. The 854 frame will be on ebay soon. Check out the 254 city cruiser. I see nothing like it on the city streets.  

http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=vexableman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version