Forum > Tech Forum

Is there a reason not to mount my shock this way?

(1/1)

slowride:
This is just a test fitting (for the bushings), but I noticed everyone else has their Stratos mounted the opposite way. Any particular reason?

Matno:
Because they don't fit that way... However, if yours does fit, there is no reason not to if you prefer it. Stratos specifically told me that it doesn't matter from the shock's point of view whether it is upside down or rightside up. However, that looks dangerously close to the frame plates. (i.e. it looks flush in that picture). Keep in mind that the shock is going to rotate down a small amount when it is compressed so you want it to have plenty of clearance! Stratos specifically makes a "Proflex tail" to fit up into that upper mount, but I'm not sure if it's necessary for the newer EVO frames like your DiscoMonkey...

slowride:
The flash flattened the photo a little, there is some space there but not a lot.

I have the K2 tail. I guess it's where the air valve is.

I'll try the other way and see if it looks like it'll make a difference...

GrimJack:
Just pull the spring off, bolt it up, and run the rear suspension through it's travel carefully to see if it binds anywhere.  If it doesn't, you're good to go - if it does, reverse it and try it again.

Matno:
Only do that if you can compress the shock with air in it. According to Stratos, compressing OR extending your shock without 100 psi of air pressure can mess up your shock. That would be bad.

The only downside to having it mounted the opposite direction from your picture is that it makes the air valve somewhat difficult to attach a pump to. However, since it's pretty much a set and forget kind of thing, I wouldn't worry too much about it...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version