Forum > Tech Forum

need help choosing rear shock for 5000

<< < (3/3)

d1sc0ver:
Matno's right!  

I have an 855 which is an XC racing frame, trouble is, I'm not exactly an XC lover...I'm an aggressive all mountain trail rider w/ light freeride tendencies wherever I can find opportunities...I ride up and then down the mountain.  

I have a Stratos Strata Pro on the rear, this is an extremely light air shock...I'm 200 lbs. and have been riding this shock for 3 years...it's held at 180 psi. for that whole period.  

I have abused this bike to no end and the rear suspension has been the least of my problems.  I also have gone to a Psylo, 1" headset spacer and 2" riser bar which lays me back quite a bit from stock.  I keep my saddle level w/ my bars w/ 3" in front for the climb, and then lower the saddle and increase to 5" in front for the descent...it works out great.  The rear, of course is not designed for this and more travel back there would be ideal...but it works for me...for now.

GrimJack:
Another slight correction. :)

Two more things that can affect your headtube angle are your rear shock eye to eye ( i2i ) measurement and the size of your rear wheel.

Matno:
Got me!  >:( That'll teach me to talk in absolutes... :-X

chainsaw:
I want to thank everyone for their help.

Ok, to sum this up....

I am going to stick with my plan to go with a coil over.

I am going to get an 8 inch eye to eye

I am either going to get a

1. Stratos Helix Expert for $260

2. Fox Vanilla R          $208

3. Risse Jupiter-5 and install it upside down $350

don't want the Vanilla RC because I hear it is heavier than the others.
I am leaning towards the Stratos.

thanks again, for everyone's help

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version