Forum > Tech Forum

need help choosing rear shock for 5000

(1/3) > >>

chainsaw:
I want to replace my rear Smartshock on my 5000. I am leaning towards a Risse spring shock. I weigh 210lbs and am a XC rider.

what I have learned from the shock fit guide on this web site, is that the Risse should fit exactly, no problems, no alterations.

according to the Risse website only the three rear air shocks will fit.

so I wrote Risse, and Kevin there wrote me back that in addition to the 3 air shocks, the Jupiter 5R will fit my bike. it is the one with the remote resevoir.

I would rather buy the Jupiter 5 because it is less money, and because I don't really want a remote resevoir.

went to the Jupiter 5 web page at the Risse Web Site, and it lists an 8" 203mm and a 8.5" 216mm, whereas I know that I am supposed to use a 8.25" 210mm eye to eye size shock. Same thing with the Jupiter 5R, I would have to choose between 8" and 8.5 inch.

so when the fit chart on this website lists the Risse as a bolt on replacement for the stock SmartShock, does it mean that I have to choose between a little long and a little short? and does it mean that I have to choose one of the 3 air shocks or the expensive Jupiter with the remote resevoir?

Oz-SUB:
I'd go with the 8.5", especially if the stroke (and therefore the wheel travel) will be more than with the original shock.  Did your new front fork lift the front of the bike up from original?  If so then 8.5" would be concrete decision, for me anyway.

chainsaw:
no, the new fork I have did not raise the front, atleast I don't think it did. it has the exact same amount of travel, anyway. my old one and new one were both rated at 4inches of travel.

Matno:
Don't overlook the Stratos shocks! They make great spring shocks that will fit perfectly. The Helix Expert isn't too expensive compared to other shocks. I love my Helix Pro and recommend it to anyone who asks.

As for the Risse, I'm not sure how they size their spring shocks. I have a feeling that the reason the Jupiter w/o the remote reservoir will fit while the other one won't is because of frame clearance (that remote model has a longer narrow part going to the bushings, the regular model doesn't look like it would fit). Either way, the Jupiter is not a XC shock, even if you do weigh 210 lbs!

The air shocks come with the exact eye to eye length of 8.25 if you order them specifically for your bike from Risse. I have an older Astro-5 that I just got a couple of weeks ago, and I really like it. I like the fact that you can service it yourself fairly easily (or pretty cheaply if you have Risse do it). It rides quite nicely. Air adjustability is great. I don't think these shocks have any real durability issues as long as you're not actually doing huge drops on your "XC" rides...

Andy:
I would say the decision lies with your preference between, having a slightly slacked feel (for downhill & freeride feel) or having a quicker steering crosscounty feel.

I have tried a few different variations of shocks and ride heights on both the front & rear. When I first swapped my x-link for a 4" Marzocchi, I could not believe the difference when decending or clearing rock gardens. then I tried swapping the rear shock to a 7 7/8" fox. Too Much Slack!

Finally I got a 8.5" Fox Vanilla RC this definately raised the rear end and once again gave me a more cross county feel that I had with the X-link and the NR2 shock. I did not like this. So now I bought a Marzocchi Z1 w/ 5" of travel. This seems to bring me back to where I like it - slightly slacked, but not so much that climbs are more difficult.

So If you want a more cross county feel then get the 8.5" if you like the way it rides now then get the 8".

The other option regarding the 8.5 is to allow enough sag to recreate the stace you had with the smart shock.

In the end the difference will be slight either way you go. good luck!  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version